Turn the eggs

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Minsara, Dec 24, 2014.

1. Minsara

Minsara Out Of The Brooder

This is my first incubation.I incubate 3 chicken eggs.Today is 16th day.I turn eggs daily 3 times on 5 am. , 1 pm. and 9 pm. Today i turned the eggs on 1 pm. and I candled eggs.and i put eggs in incubator.But after few minutes I saw 2 eggs are other side ("x" to up).and other egg is turned "0" to up.It means I not kept my eggs in right side.But I cant remember What is correct side.What do i do. Are my eggs will hatch.please help.

2. KittyKat3756

KittyKat3756 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2014
    Norfolk, UK
    It won't harm the eggs if you don't turn them properly once. Turn all of them to the same side up, then keep going as you were before.

3 turns per 24 hours is the absolute minimum that you should be aiming at. With your next hatch, you should consider turning them 5 or 7 times per day if it's at all possible. You should always turn the eggs an odd number of times per 24 hour period to ensure that they spend the night on a different side every night because most people don't turn them during the night while they sleep. So for example, a good 5 time turning pattern for you could be 5am, 9am, 1pm, 5pm and 9pm (assuming that you're turning at 5am and 9pm because those are convenient for you).

3. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Turning is most important in first two weeks of incubation. Some people stop turning all together day 16 with no ill result in hatch rate. The turning till day 18 is to keep it simple as that's the day you raise the humidity some. The combining of stop turning and raise humidity on same day is for simplicity not a do or die rule.

1 person likes this.
  4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock!! X2 with egg head your eggs will be fine. Chicks should be formed enough to even stop turning at day 16 so try not to panic :hugs

It could also be possible that the actual eggs have moved, at day 16 the chick is almost fully developed and will be starting to think about moving within the egg to get into the correct position for hatching.

Hope you have a great hatch, feel free to ask any more questions you may have, everyone here to help.
    Enjoy BYC :frow

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

Your eggs should be fine if you only missed one turning. And, at this stage in incubation, turning isn't as important.

Good luck with the hatch!

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

The other posters have given you some good advice. Your eggs should be fine, even if you missed 1-2 turnings. After 16 days, you don't even need to turn them anymore, though I usually do.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
  7. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Good luck![​IMG]

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC & Merry Christmas!

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

10. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC and Happy Holidays! Good luck with the hatch!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by