turn while settling or no?

ebonykawai

Songster
12 Years
Dec 27, 2007
Wheatfield, NY near NiagFalls
I should know this. When shipped eggs are settling, do we turn them? I'm shifting them in their cartons, propping one end, then propping the other a few hours later. That's right, isn't it? Or should I not touch them at all? Why can't I remember this??

I was told if you are a breeder collecting hatching eggs then you would want to prop them to turn them, but if you have just received your eggs from the mail to let them just settle "rest" on the counter in the carton at the correct temp for about 8 hrs before setting them. I am not experienced........ so experienced hatchers please correct me if I'm wrong.

What kind of eggs to you have?

I am not experienced........ so experienced hatchers please correct me if I'm wrong.

lol

Nothin' wrong there .... except you might wanna be careful with the whole *8 hour* thing.

Eggs are best left to rise to normal room temp before setting. A couple of hours is ample, normally. 8 hours in a kitchen that is very warm could do them harm, so go easy.

Actually, most still air incubators reach temp from cold so slowly that they could just be placed in and warm up with the bator - unless it's running already then a couple of hours would be ok​

Quote:
lol

Nothin' wrong there .... except you might wanna be careful with the whole *8 hour* thing.

Eggs are best left to rise to normal room temp before setting. A couple of hours is ample, normally. 8 hours in a kitchen that is very warm could do them harm, so go easy.

Actually, most still air incubators reach temp from cold so slowly that they could just be placed in and warm up with the bator - unless it's running already then a couple of hours would be ok

Hmmm! Thanks...I learn something new everyday! I did say to store them at the correct temp, so I guess I should of said correct temp for storing hatching eggs at 51 - 63 degrees.

Now I've been advised by diff people diff things. I've been told to let them settle for 6-8 hr before setting them and someone else had advised me 10-14 hrs. So now I'm really confused?????
idunno.gif

One of my book say to take them out of storage 6 hrs before setting them & let them slowly come to room temp. So a few hrs is ample time?????
Thanks!!!!!!

ebonykawai what breeds are you hatching?

These are mainly rose comb RIRs from Duane Urch, Gordie Sternweis (his are mixed combs), and RIR Man on Eggbid (only bought 6 of those eggs, a little expensive but I really want to mix up the bloodlines and not have any inbreeding). I'll have 30 going in the bator today. 7 more are due to hatch on the 27th. Those are BamaChicken's and a couple from Gordie.

I've also read so many different things about temps, humidity, settling times, etc. I guess I need to start listening to my intuition now that I've gathered so much info.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom