Turner quit. Can I go on without turning them?

bearz

Songster
11 Years
May 20, 2008
So we put eggs in the bator yesterday. I checked the turner beforehand and it worked fine. Now it quit. We've had some issues with getting the temp just right and now I don't want to take the top off unless necessary. Can anyone point me to a couple of quick things to look for/fix? This turner quit last year about 10 days in and I didn't notice it. I still had almost 50% hatch if I remember correctly so I seriously wonder if turning is that important.

Does anyone here hatch eggs without turning them?

best thing ever happen through it away take the pawn of you hand lay gently on eggs turn with pawn round and around once or twice and you will have a better hatch. I have thrown all of mine away.

Quote:
See, this is pretty much what I did last time but I can't remember if I laid them on their side. Thats OK, right? Just lay them down on some paper toweling and gently roll them a couple of times a day?

Could I put them in cardboard egg cartons with something under one side to tilt them and just change the tilt twice a day?

Turning is very important. The reason you have a %50 hatch rate last time it quit on you was because you were 10 days into the incubation period. Turning is very important from day 3-11 or somewhere around that. It's not important to turn during the first 3 days because you want the eggs to settle and begin to develop, so you could fix/replace the motor during that time or just turn by hand after day 3. Some will hatch if you don't turn your eggs, but it will be considerably less than %50. You can try tilting the incubator by placing a book or something underneath one side, just make sure that there's a 60 degree difference between the two turned position. E.g., at least 30 degree on one side and 30 degree on the other when you change the tilt position. Also make sure that you don't spill any water when tilting the incubator. Good Luck!

ETA: I would suggest you turn it an odd number of time everyday, somewhere like 3 or 5 times.

Last edited:
Quote:
Yes, you can do this; however, they need to get to 45 degree angles, each way, and your water may run out of the resevoir (depending on what type of water resevoir you have). Turning is extremely important through day 18.

OK, so starting day 4, Saturday, I'll transfer them to cardboard cartons and put something under one side of the cartons to tilt them 45 degrees. I can just change the tilt to the other side 3 times a day thru day 18 then. That way I won't be tilting the bater and it will allow for quick open and closing and the water won't spill.

I don't have any way to get the motor fixed because I had my knee replaced 3 weeks ago and I'm housebound for another 3 weeks. It'll give me something to do.

Back
Top Bottom