Turner stripped, can I get away with tilting the whole LG?

HaikuHeritageFarm

Crowing
13 Years
Jul 7, 2010
Memphis, TN
So, I realized my turner was stripped about 36 hours into incubating this large batch in my LG with an improvised fan. The racks are tilted to the far right and the turner won't shift, even though I unplugged it. I'd prefer to leave the eggs in the turner and just shift the incubator back and forth, but I'm concerned that since the eggs are already at an angle shifting them back and forth (essentially from an upright position to the right side, and vice versa,) may not be enough.

Would I be better off turning the whole incubator front to back?

Using a 3-4" book as a prop, and planning on replacing the turner on Thursday, after pay day!

Has anyone tried this before? I raised the prop up to about a six inch stack and when I got up from work, the temp had shot up to 102 after being very stable at 100 since I set the eggs. No significant change in room temperature. Could shifting the incubator have caused the temp spike? Trying to get it under control, lowered my riser back to the 3 or 4" rise. Is that enough?

Take a careful look at the turner, especially if it is new.

Sometimes there will be a little burr on a gear, or a rough spot that snags. The motor isn't very strong and it takes very little to stop it.

Quote:
It's old. I got the incubator second hand and it looked like it had been through quite a lot. I am not sure what to look for on the turner, do I need to check something in the motor housing, or would I be looking at something external?

Hopefully I can grab a replacement turner tomorrow, I think I located a friend with one I can borrow. This stuff is stressing me out!

Back
Top Bottom