Major change mid-incubation: Switching from tilting to manually turning

broodybird

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 8, 2014
California
Incubation began 7 days ago. The incubator I'm using has a built in "automatic turner" but technically, it doesn't actually turn/rotate the eggs. It only gently tilts/rocks them back and forth. The last time I used this incubator was also the first time I used it, and I had a very poor hatch rate (only 5 chicks out of 26 eggs hatched - they were all fully developed, but died right before pipping). Initially I thought the problem may have been the humidity, as I had it set far too high and as such suspected they may have drowned inside the shell. But now I'm reconsidering that theory...

I've attached a screen shot from this web page https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/2622816/ The argument the author makes is that the hatch rate using an incubator which "tilts" the eggs (rocks them from side to side) is not nearly as successful as the manually turning eggs several times a day. After reading this article, I've begun to think that what went wrong with my last hatch may have more to do with tilting vs. turning, and not the humidity after all.

I understand that turning them is critical most especially during the first two weeks of incubation. Hence in a panic just now, I've pulled the "automatic egg turner" out of the bator and will continue the remainder of the incubation time manually turning the eggs. However it already being Day 7, making this change today may not have any significant positive effect as any damage may already be done.

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced a similar situation and warmly welcome any advice. Thank you :)

i manually was turning till my incubator had enough space. and another time transfered from a borotto tilts to a different incubator that rolls them. I wouldnt worry about it, maybe candle and see later on if any blood circles dead embyros

Just worry about heat, humidity main things, sometimes with quails i accidentally locked down early once day 12-13 most of them still hatched

my first chickens and quails i hatched i manuelly turnned every 2 hours except when i slept or worked. (Shipped eggs) 6 outta 14 chicken eggs.A couple i think i helped actually hatch out but there was really 7 hatched, it had a deformity died bit later on or mum accidentally drowned it. Now with my fuully turning/rolling incubator i have an 80% hatch rate it seems. 90% with my own fertile eggs. But that flock got eaten by fox

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/363662657547

fav incubator

Thank you for the reassurance. I candled yesterday. Out of 23 eggs I tossed out three, which isn't too bad all things considered. I may have a couple more that aren't doing well, but it's too difficult to be certain so I'll wait on those.

I don't like making such a major change mid-way thru incubation, but it is what it is. Yes, I'm definitely keeping a close eye on temp/humidity and I have an external thermometer and hygrometer as well.

That's what I want for the next hatch - a fully rotating system, not just the tilt kind. After reading that article, I am convinced it makes a difference. I'll be looking now to see if I can find one that I can simply pop into my current incubator instead of buying a whole new incubator (like an after-market product) but I'm not sure if that's even possible. I just hate to spend another $150 on a new incubator when I've only used this one twice.

I use an incubator that holds the eggs vertical and the turner rocks back and forth.
Turning manually vs auto turner would have very very minimal affect on hatch rate.

Temperature and humidity will have far more effect than how the eggs is turned. And more importantly the welfare and health of the flock the eggs came from.

I personally have had far far better success hatching eggs from my flock in the best incubator I could afford.

I have found out (with much better hatch rate 90%) when I drilled 2 each 3/4" dia ventilation holes in the incubator box.
Hand turning eggs may have better hatch success mainly because someone has to open the box lid to manually turn the eggs; at this time fresh air is introduced into the box;
Eggs have a need for respiration air. I also have a 12 volt computer muffin fan, but powered with only 5 volt USB power device. It spins at a relaxed rate, but plenty enough for to make the incubator internal volume to be steady state temperature.

Back
Top Bottom