Turning EMU eggs

I found what I was looking for:

"Turning: Many people start their incubation operation with a cabinet style incubator that rocks the eggs back and forth. They incorrectly think that this is all that is required to hatch a healthy chick. Wrong. The eggs need to be hand turned at least 3 times per day. When turning the eggs by hand the egg must not be rotated in just one direction every time, but back and forth. If you do not rotate the egg back and forth the embryo will stick to the shell membranes or the yolk sac will stick to the bottom of the egg, either way, you have chicks dead in the shell." Quote from Red Oak Farm web site

Bottom line - If I use the auto-turn, I will still need to hand turn 3 times a day. Hope this helps someone else in the future

I have Emu eggs due to hatch within the next few days. I have not seen wiggles :(. The eggs are heavier in one spot. If I put the eggs on a flat surface, they roll to the heavy side. Is this a good sign? I thought I read somewhere that undeveloped eggs won't do this because the liquid will settle to the bottom no matter how you set the egg down. Hope that makes sense.

I have Emu eggs due to hatch within the next few days. I have not seen wiggles :(. The eggs are heavier in one spot. If I put the eggs on a flat surface, they roll to the heavy side. Is this a good sign? I thought I read somewhere that undeveloped eggs won't do this because the liquid will settle to the bottom no matter how you set the egg down. Hope that makes sense.

Assuming the eggs are developing, the "body" end of the chick egg will be much heavier than the "head" end. Put your egg on a flat surface and let it settle, then place the egg in the incubator in that position for hatching.

Back
Top Bottom