Turning of age question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by OldMcContri, Oct 30, 2014.

1. OldMcContri

OldMcContri Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2014
    Well first off it appears that Marilyn, my silkie, is not going to turn out to be a show girl like her momma, but instead a cabana boy for the 5 girls I have. Last week he began to practice his call, quite funny actually, but looks like he is starting to get the hang of it. Along with him I have 2 Doms (Domina and Ricky), 2 Buffs (Ethal and Little Locks) and a RIR (Lucy), It was a shock to all of the sudden see his make his call and all the girls came running to his side. I thought they would for sure pick on him because of his size, but I could have never imagined that as soon as he showed his true colors, that they would be loyal and attentive to him. They really don't even like me touching him.

Anyway, all of them are turning 6 months next month, yes Marilyn is already starting to try to prove he is a man to the ladies, but one of my Doms is doing something really weird when I go to either pet her or pick her up. She will stop dead in her tracks spread her wings just a little and crouch down. Is this normal?

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Yep! That's called squatting, and then hens will do that for the rooster when he wants to mate with them. It means she'll be laying soon if she's not already!

3. OldMcContri

OldMcContri Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2014
    Well I haven't seen any eggs as of yet. I have to get the nest boxes unblocked tomorrow and get them all spiffied up for them. How soon after the squatting starts do they start laying?

4. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    I would say within the next week or two you should be seeing eggs. They don't start squatting for the rooster until they're gearing up and getting ready to go.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by