Turning shed into coop

Nice plan! Lots of different ways to do things.

Lots of ventilation up high for sure, cover all openings with 1/2" hardware cloth for maximum predator exclusion.

Bottom of pop door as high as you want to pile bedding.(I like pine shavings and went 8 inches for bottom of pop door).

Nests at height easiest to collect eggs(waist high for me).

Roosts at least a foot above nests(I like roosts all at the same height, 2x4 wide side up).

Roost/poop board 8 inches below roost(board is 2 feet deep with 2x2 around edge and vinyl lined to hold a mix of sand and PDZ/zeolite to reduce odor and make poops easy to sift out for compost.

You can see my 'inside a shed' coop build on My Coop page.
Thanks for that great link! It's so well planned out and a really gorgeous piece of real estate. Your chickens should could themselves lucky they got to live in that cute little apartment. Great ideas. I'm thinking of framing in something now for inside the barn so I'm going to study your design. I won't have as much room as that but I will see if I can set up a better roosting station and nest boxes. Maybe my hens have weird habits because I have no rooster?! I had some lovely nest boxes with holes for the front and they never even looked at them?!!

I'm getting a lovely Polish rooster soon. Maybe he can get the new batch of hens in their places!

Thanks again for that lovely link.

So I decided to go a different route with our chicken coop / shed conversion !
After inspection of the old shed I decided it would need some extra help to make it worthy of using.
So I decided to just start from scratch !
I found a nice design I liked and made it a bit larger to accommodate additions to our flock.
It's not finished as of yet but I wanted to share what I've done so far. Let me know what you think :)

Yes I will. I'm not rushing to do it as we will free range the chickens mostly. It will be more for when we are not at home during the daytime. I am "mr mom" so I am home most of the time. :)

Back
Top Bottom