Turning this playhouse into a chicken coop!

StepfordCuckoos

Songster
Mar 20, 2019
Hi! So sometime in the near future I will buying the playhouse shown in the included pictures. With some help from my help we plan to convert it into a chicken coop. I know I could just purchase a nice structure that is already a chicken coop for the same price but I really like the idea of my coop looking like a mini house. It’s not included in the pic but the porch comes with a swing and everything.

Our current plans are to make the loft a brooder or hospital area (depending on the need). There’s a window up there for ventilation. We want to some safety measures to the outside of the windows to make sure predators don’t get in (I’ll also be heavily fortifying the run around the coop). On the bottom portion of the house we’re going to add roosting bars on the right and some nesting boxes on the left.
I believe it is possible for me to have extra windows added which would provide more ventilation, do you think that would be needed?

Additionally, do you guys have any suggestions for me in regards to modifying the coop? My dad is an electrician so we might be able to run electric out to the coop.

Thank you!
717BDA83-433F-4D02-9B5B-0780712A0994.jpeg
18ED0B0F-E22A-4142-A412-CB4C80D45CD3.jpeg

AAEFB9F1-2226-40E7-BBB2-B09EADF2544D.jpeg

07D598C0-57BB-40E1-ADF8-B3F070D09572.jpeg

Hi! So sometime in the near future I will buying the playhouse shown in the included pictures. With some help from my help we plan to convert it into a chicken coop. I know I could just purchase a nice structure that is already a chicken coop for the same price but I really like the idea of my coop looking like a mini house. It’s not included in the pic but the porch comes with a swing and everything.

Our current plans are to make the loft a brooder or hospital area (depending on the need). There’s a window up there for ventilation. We want to some safety measures to the outside of the windows to make sure predators don’t get in (I’ll also be heavily fortifying the run around the coop). On the bottom portion of the house we’re going to add roosting bars on the right and some nesting boxes on the left.
I believe it is possible for me to have extra windows added which would provide more ventilation, do you think that would be needed?

Additionally, do you guys have any suggestions for me in regards to modifying the coop? My dad is an electrician so we might be able to run electric out to the coop.

Thank you!View attachment 2276136View attachment 2276133
View attachment 2276142
View attachment 2276145
Looks like a fun project! Adding some ventilation should be fairly easy and depending on where you are located, your weather may allow you to just add some Vents and cover them with hardware cloth if you are not in a very cold climate.

A Sawzall and some extra 2x4's for bracing and you should be good to go on Vents.

Adding some Roosting areas is easy, just tie into the existing studs. And you can build some ramps and elevated decking areas for Nesting Boxes.

Keep us posted!

It's a nifty building, but not the shed type I'd buy for a coop,
very hard to ventilate a gambrel roof.
Better a shed or gable roof with large overhangs to protect windows and have eave ventilation.

Climbing up to loft for tending birds could be a PITA,
you'd need to fence it off to keep other birds from getting up there,
then you'd have a door to deal with for access to loft area.

BUT......would be good to know......
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1596580773222.png

I’m sooo jealous! Although my house already had an existing coop (VERY basic frame w/4 walls, cut out pop door on a pulley & a nest box), I dreamed of having the money to buy & modify something that looked appealing & added a little extra property value. I absolutely cannot wait to see how this turns out! Best of luck!!!

It's a nifty building, but not the shed type I'd buy for a coop,
very hard to ventilate a gambrel roof.
Better a shed or gable roof with large overhangs to protect windows and have eave ventilation.

Climbing up to loft for tending birds could be a PITA,
you'd need to fence it off to keep other birds from getting up there,
then you'd have a door to deal with for access to loft area.

BUT......would be good to know......
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 2276552
The main draw of this is the loft which we are going to modify into a brooder. We'll be modifying it so that it has a door. The playhouse is going to be modified to be a chicken coop. I'm going to add vents into the walls of the playhouse. The front door of the house will stay open all day and the windows will be open as well. I live in a place with hot and humid summer and cool winters.

I’m sooo jealous! Although my house already had an existing coop (VERY basic frame w/4 walls, cut out pop door on a pulley & a nest box), I dreamed of having the money to buy & modify something that looked appealing & added a little extra property value. I absolutely cannot wait to see how this turns out! Best of luck!!!
Thank you!! I'm genuinely so excited to get it. I'm going to get it in a color that matches our house too!

I think that's a great idea to have your coop look like a little house. I've done the same with my duck house. We bought a large dog house, repainted it, added a roof that could be opened with hinges, some cute doors and siding and BOOM adorable duck house for cheap cheap. ❤

I found it was much easier to make a coop look like a little house on the outside than to turn a little house into a coop. Especially because it's just filled with poop inside 😂

I think that's a great idea to have your coop look like a little house. I've done the same with my duck house. We bought a large dog house, repainted it, added a roof that could be opened with hinges, some cute doors and siding and BOOM adorable duck house for cheap cheap. ❤

I found it was much easier to make a coop look like a little house on the outside than to turn a little house into a coop. Especially because it's just filled with poop inside 😂
Thank you!! We're so excited to get to it. If we can find an AC unit that fits the windows we may even add one in.

Do you have pictures of yours? I'd love to see! It sounds adorable.

Back
Top Bottom