Turnip greens???? What do i do?????

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by conny63malies, Jul 10, 2008.

1. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    I got a huge bag of fresh greens from my neighbor, about 10-12 pounds . How do i prepare them? I never did it myself, always used the canned ones.
    Whats the best way to freeze them, prepared or just blanched? My neighbor told me she uses cot, or was that for the calaloo?

2. Nuggetsowner:)

Nuggetsowner:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Minnesota
    I am not sure. I do not like turnip greens, but I planted them this spring for my chickens and they are gone already!! Does your neighbor have more?? Too bad I wasn't closer!! [​IMG]

3. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    She got them from her church, she had about 50 pounds. I will ask her for a recipe, i bet she has some yummy ones she is from jamaica.

4. newnanchic

newnanchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Newnan, Georgia
    First of all you will want to wash them in a sink of cold water and some salt. Then drain and wash again and again. I wash them 3-4 times to get all of the sand off of them. As I am washing I pull each and every stem off. Start at the bottom and just kinda strip them off and throw the stems to your chics. After they are washed real good I break them up into sdmaller pieces by hand and put them into a big pot. If you have some bacon grease put it in the water about 3-4 teaspoons If not put some bacon in your water or a couple of smoked ham hocks inthere. Maybe even fatback if you have it. The greens will shrink as they get hot so keep adding them a little at a time to the pot. Once you get them all in there I let them boil for 3-4 hours on low. Add some salt )If you did not use salt pork) . Make a pan of cornbread slice a onion and get out the pepper sauce. Maybe even make some mashed taters....Yum Yum... Can you tell I am from Ga. ?????

Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
  5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    What she said! Perfect directions for a lovely southern supper!

We georgians have a way about these things!

6. chiknhut

chiknhut Chillin' With My Peeps

Ya'll are making me hungry.

7. tnkinhunting

tnkinhunting Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2008
    East Tennessee
    There is nuthin better than turnip greens and cornbread!!!!! Yummmmmm! [​IMG]

8. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Quote:Except collards and cornbread - with a side dish of chopped onions and pepper vinegar. [​IMG]

9. tnkinhunting

tnkinhunting Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2008
    East Tennessee
    OMG, I love those things too! My aunt, God rest her soul, introduced me to them as a child in Phoebus, VA. She grew them and I have loved them ever since.

10. chiknhut

chiknhut Chillin' With My Peeps

don't forget to make extra cornbread so you can take it and crumble it up in a glass of milk and get you a good garden onion to eat with it. yum! yum!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by