Turnip greens???? What do i do?????

conny63malies

Crowing
13 Years
Mar 22, 2008
Annetta Kentucky
I got a huge bag of fresh greens from my neighbor, about 10-12 pounds . How do i prepare them? I never did it myself, always used the canned ones.
Whats the best way to freeze them, prepared or just blanched? My neighbor told me she uses cot, or was that for the calaloo?

I am not sure. I do not like turnip greens, but I planted them this spring for my chickens and they are gone already!! Does your neighbor have more?? Too bad I wasn't closer!!
tongue.png

First of all you will want to wash them in a sink of cold water and some salt. Then drain and wash again and again. I wash them 3-4 times to get all of the sand off of them. As I am washing I pull each and every stem off. Start at the bottom and just kinda strip them off and throw the stems to your chics. After they are washed real good I break them up into sdmaller pieces by hand and put them into a big pot. If you have some bacon grease put it in the water about 3-4 teaspoons If not put some bacon in your water or a couple of smoked ham hocks inthere. Maybe even fatback if you have it. The greens will shrink as they get hot so keep adding them a little at a time to the pot. Once you get them all in there I let them boil for 3-4 hours on low. Add some salt )If you did not use salt pork) . Make a pan of cornbread slice a onion and get out the pepper sauce. Maybe even make some mashed taters....Yum Yum... Can you tell I am from Ga. ?????

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom