turquoise blue poop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mamahen82, Jan 25, 2011.

1. mamahen82

mamahen82 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2010
    Hi - I just took some lettuce scraps out to my birds and noticed that there is turquoise blue poop all over their run - there are seven birds total, and it wasn't there this morning, so if there is something wrong, it's likely more than one of them judging from the amount of poop. It is normal 'texture' or solidness...

I did just hang a purple cabbage out there to keep them entertained, and assume that is what is causing the color change, but thought I should check seeing as we are fairly new to chickens. They appear healthy and happy otherwise.

thanks

2. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    A photo would really help if that's not too gross.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
  4. new chick 203

new chick 203 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2010
    Ridgefield CT
    That exact same thing happened to my girls last week. I get bags of leftover produce from my market so I wasn't sure if it was the kale, the red cabbage or some other mix of greens that did it, but they were all leaving deep turquoise stains all over the white snow. It only lasted a day, but freaky![​IMG]

5. mamahen82

mamahen82 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2010
    thanks - I did check out that link actually, I saw it on another post - very useful but unfortunately there was nothing there like what is here. Thanks for posting though.

Hmm...perhaps the red cabbage did it - that would make sense if that was the case for you as well, new chick. Maybe I'll take it out of their pen and see if things go back to normal!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  6. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I believe yes, red cabbage = blue poop. hehehe

7. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    I freaked out this summer when I saw bright blue poop all over. After a few moments I remembered that I had treated them to blueberries and blackberries, which had tinted their poop. What goes in must come out!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by