turquoise blue poop

mamahen82

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 29, 2010
Hi - I just took some lettuce scraps out to my birds and noticed that there is turquoise blue poop all over their run - there are seven birds total, and it wasn't there this morning, so if there is something wrong, it's likely more than one of them judging from the amount of poop. It is normal 'texture' or solidness...

I did just hang a purple cabbage out there to keep them entertained, and assume that is what is causing the color change, but thought I should check seeing as we are fairly new to chickens. They appear healthy and happy otherwise.

thanks

That exact same thing happened to my girls last week. I get bags of leftover produce from my market so I wasn't sure if it was the kale, the red cabbage or some other mix of greens that did it, but they were all leaving deep turquoise stains all over the white snow. It only lasted a day, but freaky!
sickbyc.gif

thanks - I did check out that link actually, I saw it on another post - very useful but unfortunately there was nothing there like what is here. Thanks for posting though.

Hmm...perhaps the red cabbage did it - that would make sense if that was the case for you as well, new chick. Maybe I'll take it out of their pen and see if things go back to normal!

Last edited:
I freaked out this summer when I saw bright blue poop all over. After a few moments I remembered that I had treated them to blueberries and blackberries, which had tinted their poop. What goes in must come out!

This happened to me today as well.... and the girls were given a head of red cabbage to peck at yesterday! I'd bet it's absolutely the cabbage :)

Definitely! Same here! Just hung a purple cabbage for them last night. Turquoise blue poop today. Crazy! It's got to be the cabbage. Lol Wow, what a crazy color! They've eaten half of the cabbage already. They love it!

Back
Top Bottom