Turtle

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by roosters97, Mar 14, 2009.

1. roosters97

roosters97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    VA
    Well i think my RES may be eggbound,or have eggs in her.Could it be possible?,I got here about 3 years ago,shes pretty small about the size of a squeshed golf ball.lol.please help me

2. roosters97

Jan 23, 2008
    VA
    Anyone?

3. dfunnyfarm

dfunnyfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    ks
    I don't know about turtles being egg bound. So sorry I can't help. We have a red ear slider who is 4 yrs old and male. You might try to serch internet There is alot of great info about red ear slidders out there. I have learned alot from the internet. Good luck to you and your turtle.

4. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
  5. dfchaser

dfchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2008
    NC
    You can try soaking her in warmer water then she is normally in.

6. sandypaws

sandypaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    sorry.. i dont know much about turtles.. snakes YES...
    turtles, snakes and lizards can become egg bound..ually because they dont find a good PLACE to lay their eggs... #1 give her a place to lay them #2 increase her calcium intake
    have you tryed to ask this question at..
    kingsnake.com

Last edited: Mar 14, 2009
  7. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    I know snakes more than turtles and such, but if its only about the size of a golfball, I wouldnt count on it being eggbound. Why do you think it is, if you dont mind me asking?

8. roosters97

Jan 23, 2008
    VA
    I know its not the most accurate,but,I checked its back legs and it had hard bumps.

9. gypsy2621

gypsy2621 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Quote:What is the water temperature you have her in , and are you sure it is a female?

What do you have for light on her?
    12+ hours a day or much less.
    reason I am asking is they sometimes develope the "lumps" near the base of the shell by increasing their intake of food to prepare for hybernation.
    also with some their legs tend to swell up to 2 times the size in preperation for hybernation.
    Red Eared Sliders come from a country where they would be hybernating right now as apposed to our normal winter. its a flip of seasons.

Try increasing lighting and warm the water up a little. do not go above 60 degrees though.
    by the sounds this is a young RES, try the above and see if there is an improvement in a few weeks.

10. sunturtle

sunturtle Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2012
    hi well my turtle we have had her for about 11 years she was the size of half dollar. she laid eggs about a month ago. i was shocked....... they died becuase she had them in the water. but i didnt know she didnt look different. she was scratching on everything when she was out of her tank so i gave her some dirt but nothing happened so i put her back in the pond and guess what the next day there they where. so maybe give her some dry dirt to dig in. just a idea

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by