Tuxedos?

Momto6kiddos

Chirping
Feb 5, 2020
Florida
Good afternoon all. I hope everyone is healthy and doing well!

I'm hoping that at least one of you can help me out with some questions I have about Tuxedo colored Coturnix quail. Tuxedo refers to a white breast/underside with coloration along the top and head, correct? I have 3 that I believe are tuxedo but I'm having a hard time discerning what type. One is a dark grey with what will wind up being a white underside, one is the same but very light grey, almost white. The third...well, I can't really describe the color but you'll see in the pictures. They are currently 9 days old. It has been so exciting watching their adult feathers come in but also a little surprising. The one who is getting dark grey feathers started out as a reddish-brown and the one who is getting very light grey feathers started off a very light reddish tan. In the collages I'm posting is a picture of each as 2 day olds. Any idea about the coloration?

Also, @Kiki I saw at one point you posted kind of a cheat sheet on the genetics for coloration. I can't seem to find it now. Can you post that again so I can save it? I'm starting to decide which colors I'd ideally like to keep but I'm having a hard time finding a good source on genetics. Thanks!

The two pictures on the left are the older version of the chick on the left side of the top center picture: on the right is the chick on the right side.

20200303_125507.jpg

This collage is all of the same bird. This is the darker grey one.

20200303_125847.jpg

Good afternoon all. I hope everyone is healthy and doing well!

I'm hoping that at least one of you can help me out with some questions I have about Tuxedo colored Coturnix quail. Tuxedo refers to a white breast/underside with coloration along the top and head, correct? I have 3 that I believe are tuxedo but I'm having a hard time discerning what type. One is a dark grey with what will wind up being a white underside, one is the same but very light grey, almost white. The third...well, I can't really describe the color but you'll see in the pictures. They are currently 9 days old. It has been so exciting watching their adult feathers come in but also a little surprising. The one who is getting dark grey feathers started out as a reddish-brown and the one who is getting very light grey feathers started off a very light reddish tan. In the collages I'm posting is a picture of each as 2 day olds. Any idea about the coloration?

Also, @Kiki I saw at one point you posted kind of a cheat sheet on the genetics for coloration. I can't seem to find it now. Can you post that again so I can save it? I'm starting to decide which colors I'd ideally like to keep but I'm having a hard time finding a good source on genetics. Thanks!

The two pictures on the left are the older version of the chick on the left side of the top center picture: on the right is the chick on the right side.

View attachment 2040944

This collage is all of the same bird. This is the darker grey one.

View attachment 2040943
the ones i see pictured in foreground all seem to be red range....the one that is mostly white looks to be a scarlet (possibly panda vs tuxedo) the one in the background of first pic looks to be pearl or pansy fee.....

Back
Top Bottom