tuxidriver -- New Addition to BYC

tuxidriver

Hatching
Oct 19, 2020
Hi all,

I've been lurking on BYC for a long time. I've been raising chickens and now ducks for about 8 years and would sometimes come here looking for suggestions and specific information. I have a relatively large flock for someone that raises chickens on the side, currently 15 chickens and two ducks.

I raise chickens because I'm vegetarian (not vegan) and use eggs as a primary source of my protein. I know, by raising the chickens myself, that they're being treated well. We live in an area with large raptors such as eagles and hawks as well as coyotes, and large cats so I've setup a large pen with chicken wire splayed out under the ground around the exterior of the coop plus chicken wire over the top. Our pen is a fenced in area, 15' by 30' and 8' tall so there's plenty of room. Thus far we've lost no chickens to predators. Chickens are let out during the day when I am outside although we do so less due to neighbor's dogs.

The ducks we keep were abandoned by someone in a commercial parking lot near our home and we agreed to take them in so they wouldn't get hit by cars going in and out.

I've officially joined BYC because I've come across an issue with one of our chickens that I would like some advise on.

Back
Top Bottom