Tweedle is Not OK. I need some expert help.

wbruder17

Songster
9 Years
Jun 7, 2010
Portland, OR
Ok, ive had chickens a while. Ive read a ton of books and articles on all kinds of ailments, etc.

Tweedle is a 2.5 year old Wyandotte. I first noticed something amiss when i checked on the flock and saw a half crumpled egg shell stuck to her butt feathers. I took her and checked closely. I found the other half of the softish shell inside her and gently pulled it out. I tucked some of her cloaca back in, as it was partially hanging out, but not a huge amount. I put her in a dog crate overnight, and by morning, her vent was more normal looking.

I put her back with the flock, but she was lethargic and not eating/ moving around a lot. So i put her back in the dog crate. This was 2 days ago.

She laid another egg in the crate, but it was a broken mess. Today, i trimmed the rest of her yucky crusty butt feathers. Her bum is red and sore looking. She has not been pooping a whole lot in the dog crate, which is covered so it is dark in there, to stop her from laying.

Today, i let her out a bit and followed her around. She drank a bunch of water, but was not interested in food. Then she just laid down in dirt.

So i soaked her in warm water for about 20 minutes, as i read to do to relax them if there is an egg stuck. But i dont think an egg is stuck, as she laid one just 2 days ago. She is back in the dog crate, resting with a heat lamp.

Her color is good. Her eyes are clear. She is calm, and seems to be enjoying the heat lamp, as well as the warm bath.

I just dont know what it could be. When she poops, its small, but normal consistency, and seeing how she hasnt eaten much, i understand not having much to poop out. I tried scrambled eggs... she just pecked at them... same with corn and her normal layer feed.

Im not an amateur, and ive done my homework, so i really need some expert help with this one.

Aw, poor baby! She may have a nutritional deficiency in calcium or vitamin D. I'd buy her a calcium supplement from your local feed store, she might just need more than usual as she is getting older. Other reasons for the 'soft shell' could be a temporary malfunction during her shell-making process, or she rushed the egg through which caused it to be laid prematurely. Even stress from sudden excitement or fright could cause this to occur.

Best of luck, hope everything turns out alright.

One of my 10 hens has laid soft-shelled or thin-shelled eggs every since she molted last winter. Some of her eggs are OK, but some are quite soft. None of the other hens has this problem and they are all eating the same food, so I'm not sure it is strictly a deficiency. They get layer crumble (egg maker and layena) and shell on the side, so I know they have access to the calcium.

She may just have something going wrong in the egg-making machinery. I understand that sometimes happens. Good luck. I'd sure try the D and calcium, but nothing has worked for my Lucy (she is a Delaware).

Sharol
Ok, ive had chickens a while. Ive read a ton of books and articles on all kinds of ailments, etc.
Tweedle is a 2.5 year old Wyandotte. I first noticed something amiss when i checked on the flock and saw a half crumpled egg shell stuck to her butt feathers. I took her and checked closely. I found the other half of the softish shell inside her and gently pulled it out. I tucked some of her cloaca back in, as it was partially hanging out, but not a huge amount. I put her in a dog crate overnight, and by morning, her vent was more normal looking.
I put her back with the flock, but she was lethargic and not eating/ moving around a lot. So i put her back in the dog crate. This was 2 days ago.
She laid another egg in the crate, but it was a broken mess. Today, i trimmed the rest of her yucky crusty butt feathers. Her bum is red and sore looking. She has not been pooping a whole lot in the dog crate, which is covered so it is dark in there, to stop her from laying.
Today, i let her out a bit and followed her around. She drank a bunch of water, but was not interested in food. Then she just laid down in dirt.
So i soaked her in warm water for about 20 minutes, as i read to do to relax them if there is an egg stuck. But i dont think an egg is stuck, as she laid one just 2 days ago. She is back in the dog crate, resting with a heat lamp.
Her color is good. Her eyes are clear. She is calm, and seems to be enjoying the heat lamp, as well as the warm bath.
I just dont know what it could be. When she poops, its small, but normal consistency, and seeing how she hasnt eaten much, i understand not having much to poop out. I tried scrambled eggs... she just pecked at them... same with corn and her normal layer feed.
Im not an amateur, and ive done my homework, so i really need some expert help with this one.

I dont worm my birds. I honestly dont think its worms, as my other hens are totally fine, and i keep a very close watch on poops, etc. Could she be starting a molt? She didnt really molt last fall, and her feathers are not very nice, compared to all my other birds. My pheasants are molting now, so maybe that explains the lethargy, but good color.

My hens get layer feed, oyster shell and grit regularly. As well as a 6 grain scratch, table scraps and free ranging a few hours a day. And when i mean free ranging, i mean being let out of their enormous run to wreck havock in the yard. I dont think its a nutritional deficiency at all.

I kept her in the darkened dog crate for a couple of dayss to let her rest, and just returned her to the coop, as i dont see the point in keeping her sequestered with no real symptoms of sickness.

Perhaps molting. Im gonna keep a close eye on her tho. She doesnt seem sick at all, which is why i am pointing towards an out of season molt..... but im not a vet, so its, as usual, a game of guessing.

If she's lethargic and laying "sickly" eggs, she's not feeling well. By the time you SEE worms, the infestation is deadly. Waiting around to see what's going to happen could kill her. Sometimes you have to take your best guess and go with it. Of course it's entirely up to you - but if it were one of my girls, I'd worm her immediately with Valbazen and not take chances.

I hope that's what it is... keep your eye out for any other symptoms - but it's a good place to start and the "odds" are that's the problem. Hang in there!!!

Back
Top Bottom