Twenty-one chickens in shrink wrap bags. Which is the roo?

Schroeder

Crowing
14 Years
Nov 9, 2008
Central Indiana
My Coop
My Coop
I just brought these home from the processor. My 16 week old Marans and 14 week old Orpingtons (all cockerels) averaged about 3 lbs. after processing. I also included five 2 1/2 year old hens and one roo of the same age. I think I know which ones are the hens, as their weight is closer to 4 lbs, and some of them appear to have a little more yellow fat. Is there any way to be sure which one is the rooster? I can guess, based on weight, but I'm not sure. I'm thinking he was heavier than the cockerels but lighter than the hens.

This is my first time to have any chickens processed in bulk, and I plan to give some to family members. I'd just hate for their taste for my "farm" chickens to be ruined by cooking the roo by mistake. I know to cook him very slowly in a crock pot or pressure cooker, if I could just be sure which one he is. IAre there hints as to how I might identify him?

Hi Schroeder,

I would put them side by side. As long as they're the same breed, you could tell by the length of the leg. Roosters will have a bigger drumstick and the thigh will also be longer. (The wings should also be slightly longer.)

If they're thawed you could also tell by how flexible the meat is. Even after rigor mortis has passed, the rooster's joints and muscles will probably be a lot stiffer and harder to move than those of the hens.

best of luck,
Erica

Back
Top Bottom