Twin chicken development

The membrane was white but I dampened it, should I stop doing that? Yes this is the double yolk egg. I will compare pictures now.

Found a beak, on the other side of the air sac.

The membrane was white but I dampened it, should I stop doing that? Yes this is the double yolk egg. I will compare pictures now.

Be careful that you do not moisten too much. When that membrane is bloodless everywhere the chick is ready to hatch. Consider putting the egg in the incubator where you can easily see the beaks and membrane and wait. Over handling and moistening could/will cause problems. It is important that the body temperature stay at/about 100-101. If the membrane dries out you will see brown around the edges where the beak has pierced it or anywhere it has been damaged-If this happens you need to assist by loosening the membrane where it has dried. When the membrane is completely bloodless it is time to assist hatching. The problem here is that twins, most likely, will not be ready to hatch at the same time so....be prepared to try for one and hope for the best.

Okay thank you, it is placed where it can be easily seen so I'll wait till I see no blood.

I cannot, I hope that is not a bad sign for the other, but I hear its common for one to not make it in twins.

Quick update:

I was looking at the exposed membrane and the blood had gone. I began to peel back the membrane and have managed to uncover all of the membrane covering the chick from the outside, but just on the edges there is still some blood so will wait alittle longer before proceeding.

I was also wondering, do the chicks share the inner membrane or does each have its own?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I cannot, I hope that is not a bad sign for the other, but I hear its common for one to not make it in twins.

Quick update:

I was looking at the exposed membrane and the blood had gone. I began to peel back the membrane and have managed to uncover all of the membrane covering the chick from the outside, but just on the edges there is still some blood so will wait alittle longer before proceeding.

I was also wondering, do the chicks share the inner membrane or does each have its own?This, I do not know. I am guessing that each chick has its own membrane-two complete eggs packaged as one by some fluke of nature.

Thanks.

Quick update:

I was also wondering, do the chicks share the inner membrane or does each have its own?

Thanks.
I would think there was only one. No clue though, that's just a guess.

Back
Top Bottom