twin chicks!

Lynnk

In the Brooder
12 Years
Oct 25, 2007
I was monitoring a couple of overdue eggs and one had definately died. I actually thought it was a duck egg as it was the same size as my Muscovy eggs. I opened it to see what stage it reached and lo and behold...twins! they were almost fully developed. One slightly larger than the other, but 2 fully formed chicks. Has anyone ever had this before? Do they ever actually make it to hatch?

Yes it has happened, and yes it is possible for them to make it to chicks. Ducks and chickens have hatched twins. There are YouTube videos of some of them.
smile.png

I had twin chicks back in september .. both hatched, one died less than a week later .. the other developed wry neck at about 5 weeks and was destroyed..

sad.png

Generally, one of the twins will be much smaller and weaker than the other, and will have a much bleaker chance of survival if they do hatch.
sad.png

I know TennesseeTruly hatched a pair of adorable twin Call Ducks awhile back, and the smaller one didn't make it.
hit.gif

I candled a set of 7th day eggs and saw one with two very clear embrios in it. It's going to be twins. Just not sure what, if anything, I should do. I guess I'll just let nature take its course and see if they can hatch.

Back
Top Bottom