twisted duckling

Hi DarkWater, I share the anger and sadness at all this suffering going on in the world too. Especially the animals that are just born into short upsetting lives for profit. It helps me to make a small difference in the lives of few chickens even if my actions are dwarfed in the face of everything else going on. But I think it's important to seek solace and peace as well as making ourselves miserable about misery just seems to be adding to the pile! You can only do what you can.

I hope you find help for your duck, thanks for sharing your thoughts...
Thank you. My critters bring me a great deal of joy, along with the anxiety. I appreciate your wise observations. It is much nicer to dwell upon the joy of having them in my life. Thanks for your "ear" as well as your time.
Patience

i've been trying to feed it water mixed with brewer's yeast from a dropper but it will only take a little bit. it just keeps struggling and falling over. it's like its feet aren't moving the correct way or something. and because the neck is twisted almost 180 degrees it keeps ending up on its back with feet in the air

it is dead and i think it is my fault. i got up this morning to check the heat plate and it was gone.

i found it face-down behind the box that was holding the small nipple waterer for the chick. its face was half-stuck to medical tape stuck to the back of it. (how tf did it get there?) and i guess with it being face down and unable to use its legs properly it couldn't move away from the position. it must have died from the cold.

i'm sure i woke up from chirping at 3am or so. why didn't i get up and check? i was checking on it every 30 mins all yesterday for shit's sake. i was even going to move it to somewhere by itself so the other ducklings wouldn't pick on it but i thought 'no it'd get too cold without the heating plate' FFFFF

Last edited:
it was 3 days late to hatch too. could this deformity have been caused by incubating problems? though two others hatched fine. idk. the humidity got high right on the last couple days. if anyone ever even read this thread haha. maybe it was posted in the wrong place as i just found there's a duck forum @_@

Damn, bro I’m sorry this happened. This absolutely sounds like it was the deformity that caused this, not you. It happens and it sucks. It’s better that it’s not in pain and even more, suffering. You did what you could do and probably more than what most would do. >_<

Damn, bro I’m sorry this happened. This absolutely sounds like it was the deformity that caused this, not you. It happens and it sucks. It’s better that it’s not in pain and even more, suffering. You did what you could do and probably more than what most would do. >_<

thank you. i was pretty saddened because it seems like it could have been something to be prevented. but its feet were still curled. maybe the deformity would've lingered and it died before things could get worse. i just have that image of it stuck to the floor trying to move and getting colder while no-one cares.

why did noone care about this post btw. every post here gets a response and not this? you could've helped.

It happens. I posted something about foamy poop and pretty much made a journal entry of it due to me only posting lol. Only one person responded, which I’m greatly for!
The part that bothered me the most is there is so much abundant information that leads many internet browsers to this forum about foamy poop = sick. Turns out mine were cecal and despite years and years of forum activity, not too many (whether here or other sites) will mention that it’s possible that foamy poop is cecal. It does get frustrating but at the same time, sometimes we just have to go with our gut instincts and figure it out ourselves. Iwonder how many chicken owners have had unnecessary anxiety about foamy poop due to search results on Google or another search engine thinking their babies are sick & perhaps over treating when it’s simply cecal or just an upset tummy/crop. :) This was me. The good part from it was I now have pretty much all first aid for the future lol.
If you want a poultry buddy, feel free to DM and we can chat somewhere else or here. :)

Back
Top Bottom