twisted duckling

Cazook

Songster
Nov 24, 2019
a duckling pipped yesterday and finally made it out today. i noticed it was falling over in the incubator while drying out and saw there was 'egg goo' (dunno what it is, wet green/brown stuff seemingly attached to inner membrane of shell) which meant it was trying to drag the egg around while trying to move. the goo got twisted around the duckling's leg too. once it dried halfway i took it out and gently unwrapped the goo and got it off. but there is something wrong with the duckling - it can't stand (feet fall forward, like it can't get onto it's feet, almost as if the feet are 'backwards' (though i am used to chickens so maybe this is normal placement)) and its neck is twisted to side. if i hold the neck in place it seems almost normal but then when letting go it flops back to the side. it keeps trying to get to its feet and failing. i dipped its beak in water for a drink but it won't take any crumbs yet (bit early anyway)

what caused this? is it fixable? :(

i've been trying to feed it water mixed with brewer's yeast from a dropper but it will only take a little bit. it just keeps struggling and falling over. it's like its feet aren't moving the correct way or something. and because the neck is twisted almost 180 degrees it keeps ending up on its back with feet in the air

anyone? all i do so far is feed it via syringe every hour or so since it can't move or get onto its feet. i try holding it up in correct position so it can strengthen legs by pushing against the floor. but its toes are curled like it doesnt even try to use them. i think it can hold its head up a little stronger now but it is still bent at strange angle.

it is dead and i think it is my fault. i got up this morning to check the heat plate and it was gone.

i found it face-down behind the box that was holding the small nipple waterer for the chick. its face was half-stuck to medical tape stuck to the back of it. (how tf did it get there?) and i guess with it being face down and unable to use its legs properly it couldn't move away from the position. it must have died from the cold.

i'm sure i woke up from chirping at 3am or so. why didn't i get up and check? i was checking on it every 30 mins all yesterday for shit's sake. i was even going to move it to somewhere by itself so the other ducklings wouldn't pick on it but i thought 'no it'd get too cold without the heating plate' FFFFF

Last edited:
it was 3 days late to hatch too. could this deformity have been caused by incubating problems? though two others hatched fine. idk. the humidity got high right on the last couple days. if anyone ever even read this thread haha. maybe it was posted in the wrong place as i just found there's a duck forum @_@

Damn, bro I’m sorry this happened. This absolutely sounds like it was the deformity that caused this, not you. It happens and it sucks. It’s better that it’s not in pain and even more, suffering. You did what you could do and probably more than what most would do. >_<

Damn, bro I’m sorry this happened. This absolutely sounds like it was the deformity that caused this, not you. It happens and it sucks. It’s better that it’s not in pain and even more, suffering. You did what you could do and probably more than what most would do. >_<

thank you. i was pretty saddened because it seems like it could have been something to be prevented. but its feet were still curled. maybe the deformity would've lingered and it died before things could get worse. i just have that image of it stuck to the floor trying to move and getting colder while no-one cares.

why did noone care about this post btw. every post here gets a response and not this? you could've helped.

Back
Top Bottom