Two 1-Week old chicks: One leg shorter OR slipped tendon? Other is weak in legs still

TaylorFamFarm4

Chirping
Feb 19, 2020
Hello! I have a flock(?) of chicks that are 8 days old (hatched) and they’ve been in our brooder for 6 days.
We have them on natural wood chips and shavings leftover from hauling firewood. The first day we laid paper towels overtop so they would learn where their food was. After one day we removed the paper towels. They’re on unmedicated chickstarter and were vaccinated for both coccidiosis and Marek’s. They get electrolytes (from the hatchery) in their water and we’re given GrowGel (from the hatchery) for the first 4 day’s they were here. I’m currently giving both “hop-alongs” B12 in water through a dropper several times a day. I have massages both chicks legs and looked for sores or infection.

Chick #1-Red Star Sexlink: has been presenting like this for....2 days so far I think....
*She holds her right leg up as though she can’t bear weight on it. However, when she wants to move quickly or get out of everyone’s way, she can still run. But if she’s standing or walking she picks up her foot. Here’s a link to a video of this chick. (I hope the link posts ok)
*Additionally, I noticed that her “sore” leg/foot actually looks shorter. Turns out her thigh is higher up than the left/unaffected leg. I’ve tried to check for skipped tendon but despite being a formerly trained massage therapist, I’m still not sure what I’m supposed to be feeling if it’s slipped. I can’t feel anything out of place, it feels like the other leg. First picture is of her shorter leg. I added lines to the pic to indicate where her thigh starts on each one.

Is there another tendon in the thigh that could be affected? Could there be a tear or break? How do I find that out?

Chick #2-Red Star Sexlink: has been presenting link this for 4 days. This chick has been sitting. When she needs to move, she flaps her wings to help herself get there then she rests. I noticed her left foot was red and slightly swollen and her right toes were very slightly curling when she’d sit down. I splinted her right foot with a bandaid and spread her toes out and let her be in that for a day. When I took it off, it seemed better but she still won’t stand for very long. I’ve been giving her B12 from a dropper and it seemed to help but ever so slightly. She’s still not up and walking except to scoot out of the way. Could this be the beginning or a different form of straddle leg? Here’s a video of her.
Second pic is of her swollen toe area.

Attachments

• 77A2F5B7-A5BC-4505-9FC9-695E434AD05F.jpeg
    77A2F5B7-A5BC-4505-9FC9-695E434AD05F.jpeg
    388.6 KB · Views: 41
  • 70FFBBC4-D06F-4C57-AEB3-AF13EE826492.jpeg
    70FFBBC4-D06F-4C57-AEB3-AF13EE826492.jpeg
    327.5 KB · Views: 10
Sorry about your chick. B12 is not what you need to be giving her. You need B Complex or super B complex with riboflavin (B2.) Crush 1/4 tablet daily, and give with water or in her food. That might help her curled toes. It is hard to tell if she has a slipped tendon or possibly a leg bone deformity. You might want to repeat the chick shoe for a couple of days. Unfortunately leg problems are hard to diagnose or treat.
1582145126497.jpeg

Sorry about your chick. B12 is not what you need to be giving her. You need B Complex or super B complex with riboflavin (B2.) Crush 1/4 tablet daily, and give with water or in her food. That might help her curled toes. It is hard to tell if she has a slipped tendon or possibly a leg bone deformity. You might want to repeat the chick shoe for a couple of days. Unfortunately leg problems are hard to diagnose or treat.
View attachment 2030572
Ok. I plan on getting a B Complex. I saw a really long thread here and one comment said she used B12 and that’s what we had on hand so I figured I’d try it. I’ve been trying to read and read and read and I feel like I’m going in circles with this.

For some reason, a lot of people think that B 12 is 12 different B vitamins. One popular site used to list B12 as a treatment for riboflavin deficiency, and riboflavin is B2. So it pays to read a few links and then decide how to proceed. Many poultry vitamins also contain B2 riboflavin, except NutriDrench for some odd reason. Poultry Cell has it though, and those 2 are fairly identical otherwise.

View attachment 2030572
Thank you for the visual. I was able to find this at our local Kroger and it was BOGO, so that’s a bonus! I’ve been giving this to them dissolved in water via dropper since last night. I’ll keep on it. And I’ll read the slipped tendon thread again. Thanks so much!

Back
Top Bottom