Two 3 week old kittens, help!

Farm Girl 1

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 26, 2014
Hi, yesterday evening I found a 3 week old kitten who was meowing desperately underneath a cattle trailor. I have a lot of ferrel cats so it's not unusual to find kittens. I was able to find another kitten that was obviously a sibling in a shed, I put them together in hopes that the mom was moving them and that she would come back for them. This morning around 9:30 ish I went out to see if they had been moved. They are still there. I know that they haven't eaten in a while, so what should I do? I'm gonna give their mother an hour or two, to see if she'll come back. But if the mom hasn't come by 11:00ish I'll need to help them. I have a cat that is still producing some milk ( her kittens are 3 months old) and she has accepted a different kitten before but that was when her kittens were a week old and the new kitten was only 2 weeks old. So I'll try to give it to her, are there any ways to encourage her to accept them? She sniffed one of them, and hissed and growled at it. If she won't accept them what do I feed them? It's Thansgiving today so the stores are closed, so I can't buy kitten formula. Is there a homemade recipe for milk I could try? Thanks in advance!

Goats milk would work in a pinch. If you can get it KMR is best...Could maybe do some pedialyte to keep them hydrated until you can get formula.

They are still there so I'll see if my cat will accept them or at least let them suck for a little while. Unfortunately we don't have a rescue place here the closest one is over 2 hours away. I'm gonna go see if my mama kitty will have some sympathy.

If you don't have some of the ingredients, make do w what you have, but do feed those kittens now:

12 oz can evaporated milk
1/2 c water
1 egg yolk
1 tsp karo syrup
1-2 drops kitten vitamins
Electrolyte formula:
1 c water
2tsp sugar
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp baking soda

Combine all ingredients, warm up under running water and feed the kittens

Now that you have the recipe, some considerations:
If later on, when the stores are open you can find a more natural substitute for karo, it's better

If the kittens are 3 weeks old, they are probably urinating and defecating on their on, but if not, gently massage the area using a gauze dipped in warm water. Before massaging, squeeze the excess water out.
They need to be kept warm. Hot water bottles ( wrapped in a towel so not to burn the kittens) or a hearing pad under a cushion or towels.
Oh, and I don't know whether you have a bottle for them, but if not, they might be able to lick the milk from a bottle cap or medicine cup gently turned toward the lips. A dropper works too, but you'll have to refill it very often:)
Let us know if your cat accepted the kittens. I have a feeling it might not happen, but I am hopeful.
Best of luck and keep us posted

Back
Top Bottom