Two 6 month+ old hens crowing and not laying!

They're both mixed breeds. The pattern of the mostly white one and the barred one's beard suggest they have EEs somewhere in their background but since EEs aren't an actual breed I'd just call them barnyard mixes.
I'd reconsider the whole keeping them plan. The crowing is gonna get louder and more frequent and the neighbors complaints are too.
No crow collars aren't gonna eliminate the problem and IMO are cruel.
If the neighbors are already complaining it's just a matter of time until you're gonna be asked to get rid of them and by then feelings may be so bad that they're gonna be turned off about you having chickens at all.
I'd rehome them now and get a couple for sure pullets/hens before there's a lot of bad blood over your chicken keeping adventures.
Just a thought.

They're both mixed breeds. The pattern of the mostly white one and the barred one's beard suggest they have EEs somewhere in their background but since EEs aren't an actual breed I'd just call them barnyard mixes.
I'd reconsider the whole keeping them plan. The crowing is gonna get louder and more frequent and the neighbors complaints are too.
No crow collars aren't gonna eliminate the problem and IMO are cruel.
If the neighbors are already complaining it's just a matter of time until you're gonna be asked to get rid of them and by then feelings may be so bad that they're gonna be turned off about you having chickens at all.
I'd rehome them now and get a couple for sure pullets/hens before there's a lot of bad blood over your chicken keeping adventures.
Just a thought.
I agree. They are both mixes, the crowing will get louder, no-crow collars won’t do crap and are cruel to the animal, and since the neighbors are already complaining, it might be best to give them away. What do you see here for these two chickens, @The Moonshiner, males? @aart doesnt think so.

I agree. They are both mixes, the crowing will get louder, no-crow collars won’t do crap and are cruel to the animal, and since the neighbors are already complaining, it might be best to give them away. What do you see here for these two chickens, @The Moonshiner, males? @aart doesnt think so.
We made an agreement with our neighbours that they wouldn’t crow before 8am or after sunset and I don’t think there’s any rules here specifying that you can’t keep roosters. That why we’re thinking of keeping them for as long as we can. I don’t think there’s much of a rehoming industry around here so I’m not sure how I’d be able to find someone willing to take them either.

How often do roosters normally crow? I feel like these two are rather quiet compared to what I’ve seen. They only crow every so often so most of the time it’s quiet. I’m still curious as to why they don’t ever crow when a person is around them though...

We made an agreement with our neighbours that they wouldn’t crow before 8am or after sunset and I don’t think there’s any rules here specifying that you can’t keep roosters. That why we’re thinking of keeping them for as long as we can. I don’t think there’s much of a rehoming industry around here so I’m not sure how I’d be able to find someone willing to take them either.

How often do roosters normally crow? I feel like these two are rather quiet compared to what I’ve seen. They only crow every so often so most of the time it’s quiet. I’m still curious as to why they don’t ever crow when a person is around them though...
Good luck with that agreement and keeping them. My roosters crow rather often, especially the bantam.

Roosters crowing bother me way less than dogs barking all night. I never get why people are ok with one but not the other. I hope your two guys behave themselves and live a long happy life with you. My guys don't crow when I'm standing by them either. Usually they'll start up with each other or neighbor roosters and have crow offs. Maybe they don't need that attention when you're nearby. (I don't know the actual psychology behind it. Just guessing.)

Back
Top Bottom