Two 6 month+ old hens crowing and not laying!

You should get them pullets, thing is, a good rooster ratio is around 7-10 pullets per rooster. So, you'd have to get a lot of pullets. As for the crowing when people aren't around, I have no idea. My roosters love to sing whenever I come near.
I think that many chickens would be a few too many for us to deal with! We’re not really looking to start a whole mini-farm in our backyard. We originally just got these two because we thought chickens would be easy-to-maintain pets (and they are!) and lay eggs as a bonus. If I got one or two pullets but kept them apart from these two would it be ok?

I think that many chickens would be a few too many for us to deal with! We’re not really looking to start a whole mini-farm in our backyard. We originally just got these two because we thought chickens would be easy-to-maintain pets (and they are!) and lay eggs as a bonus. If I got one or two pullets but kept them apart from these two would it be ok?
How kept them apart?

If you mean separating them in different enclosures, I don't think it would be a problem. As long as they NEVER see eachother. And I mean NEVER. Then again, earlier in the post you said the cockerels were "squaring up" to each other. Without the correct ratio of roos to hens, they will pluck themselves featherless.

Another thing, should I get/make them some no-crow collars? I’ve seen that it helps quieten the crowing so that it’s not so ear piercing haha

You don't have to get more chickens. The 2 boys will get along ok without a female in the mix. It's when you add females that fighting will start. If you want hens for eggs, keep them out of sight of the boys and you'll be ok. Or get rid of one male. You can have 3 or 4 females to a male, you just have to watch for overmating.

If you mean separating them in different enclosures, I don't think it would be a problem. As long as they NEVER see eachother. And I mean NEVER. Then again, earlier in the post you said the cockerels were "squaring up" to each other. Without the correct ratio of roos to hens, they will pluck themselves featherless.
By never do you mean out of sight or just not interacting with each other?

Back
Top Bottom