Two 6 month+ old hens crowing and not laying!

Pics

aenea_flower

In the Brooder
Feb 26, 2021
Hi!

I’m new to this site and I’ve seen this topic being discussed before, but none of them seem to answer my case. These are my first chickens and I’ve raised them since they were a week old.

I have two hens (supposedly) who are at least 6 months old now but still haven’t started laying eggs. In fact, just recently they’ve taken up crowing like roosters every morning and throughout the day! We’ve managed to stop them from crowing early in the morning by putting them in the garage to sleep but they still crow throughout the day (our neighbours have started to complain). I’ve discovered that whenever I go outside and just stand in their view, they’ll stop crowing for a while. They get plenty of food and will sometimes start crowing minutes after I give them food, so I doubt it’s because they’re hungry.

Are they just crowing for attention and food? Or does the lack of eggs and the crowing hint at some hormonal change? (both of them are like this so it seems unlikely) How could I fix this?

Hens don't usually crow...
If you post some pics of your birds, it might help us figure out if they're boys or girls.

Hens don't usually crow...
If you post some pics of your birds, it might help us figure out if they're boys or girls.
I’m pretty sure they’re both girls but here you go!
A0D2CB79-E255-45E9-BC35-B99CC9CB9A57.jpeg
5366E6E4-8330-4877-86F4-B3A78A0292F2.jpeg
3311BC85-63C5-4A8F-8EDB-CEF8DE32FD60.jpeg

I am sorry to say... they are roosters.
They really don’t seem to be roosters though! The white one is definitely not one (she’s docile, small, and quite + doesn’t have the sickle tail feathers or a large comb) and the black Australorp doesn’t match what male Australorps look like but she is quite fiesty!

They really don’t seem to be roosters though! The white one is definitely not one (she’s docile, small, and quite + doesn’t have the sickle tail feathers or a large comb) and the black Australorp doesn’t match what male Australorps look like but she is quite fiesty!
They are definitely male. White one has male saddle feathers and those rusty colored splashes on the wings also say male.

They are still young...they are just starting to get their tail feathers. Not all roosters have large combs. Well... do you have hens for them? If not, they have no reason to behave like roosters a whole lot. But they are crowing and that is a dead giveaway.

Back
Top Bottom