1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Two approximately 12-week-old Wyandotte Chickens. Boys? Girls?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by steppenwolfe, Feb 13, 2013.

1. steppenwolfe

steppenwolfe New Egg

Feb 13, 2013
    Hey all,

I am very new to the world of keeping chooks. I recently acquired 2 chicks and was wondering if someone can help me identify if they are hens or cockerels, please? They are currently about 12 weeks old. from what I know one is a gold-lace (called Thistle) and the other is a blue-gold-lace (named McFly). I have just noticed a small bump on McFly's head (first photo on the right) which I think is the beginnings of a comb. I live in suburbia and a rooster would not be appreciated by my neighbours and was just wondering if anyone can help me identify, please.

[​IMG]
    Thistle (left) and McFly (right)

[​IMG]
    McFly

[​IMG]
    Thistle

Thanks heaps :)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I think they are girls.

3. Bluebee

Bluebee Overrun With Chickens

Jul 30, 2012
    Cali
    X2[​IMG]

4. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    It isn't so much the appearance of a comb as much as it is the color of the comb. As long as they both have orange or peach colored combs then they are girls...if it is red there is a good chance the one with red is a boy. Because some hens have larger combs than others, so as chicks they will have a large comb bump than the others, but for me it is all about the color.

5. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    I also don't see any wattles...so that is also a good sign..males start growing wattles earlier as well, tiny little flaps at first...where as pullets don't get noticeable wattle flaps until again, they are just about to start laying. So a 3 month old bird with a reddish comb bump, and some red wattle flaps will be a boy...

6. Vamvakas

Vamvakas Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    North Branford, CT
    Both look like roosters...

Just kidding! they look like girls.

7. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    pullets thus far repost when they are 16 weeks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by