Two birds dead.... Is the rest of my flock in danger?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mychookschick, Feb 11, 2012.

1. mychookschick

mychookschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Maine
    Hello all,

A rooster and a hen that I had died.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) The rooster was a Buff Orpington, about 6-7 months old. The hen was a GLW, about 10 months old. Neither was larger or smaller than the others of the same age and gender.
    2) What is the behavior, exactly. They both started out acting sad and down. Then they became kind of dizzy. At first, I thought that the rooster had fallen of the roost and had a concussion (it seemed to be getting better). Then it couldn't walk straight and then it wouldn't eat. The hen has been acting down for days now, and I had been watching her. Today, she started holding her head to one side (like she was looking at the sky, except she couldn't control it) and tipping over. She wouldn't have lasted the night. The two died at different times, the rooster about a week ago and the hen today.
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? They acted sick for 3-4 days before days before dying.
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? Not at the moment.
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. I don't know of anything...
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Blue seal Layer pellets and water. I'm not sure how much the two of them were eating/drinking, because they are with 14 other birds and they free-range.
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Poop looked normal.
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? None, I just want to know if the rest of my flock could be in danger.
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? I will not take them to a vet. I will consider treatment, but the birds are not sick at present. The ones that were sick, are dead.
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. I don't have one.
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use They are kept in an 8X12 shed and usually have wood shavings.

Any ideas that would lead to the identification of this issue would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to lose my whole flock!

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Sorry posted in the wrong place.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  3. mychookschick

Aug 28, 2009
    Maine
    Nobody has any advice? I am really worried about my birds!

4. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    I am so sorry to say that I have no idea of what caused the problems for you - it is very frustrating to not have a response for the problems we sometimes face - hopefully somebody will have some idea of what you can do to help the rest of your flock.

Usual comments are -

Check them for lice/mites

Have they been wormed recently?

I wish you luck and hopefully somebody with good knowledge will respond to you

Suzie

5. mychookschick

Aug 28, 2009
    Maine
    Thanks for your reply...

I don't think that they have lice/mites, but I will check.

And they don't have worms... This is going to sound weird, but I inspect poop regularly.

6. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    I don't think it is wierd to check their poop... I am preoccupied at times in checking their poop too! It is advisable to check around the vent area and under their wings for signs of lice and mites...if you find any evidence - treat immediately...

Wishing you all the best

Suzie

7. nnbreeder

nnbreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Oklahoma
    By the time actual adult worms show up in the droppings it is often times too late to save the bird. Look at their faces and combs. They should be a dark red, if they are a pale red/pink chances are they have worms of some type

Please describe the droppings in color and consistancy, that is often the first indication of illness.

Walk the area where they have free-ranged to see if you can find anything like moldy leaves or maybe a carcass of another animal that they have been feeding on.

What kind of wood shavings do you use?

In an answer to your question, if it is something enviromental, feed or parasite related then yes. The rest of the flock could be in danger too.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  8. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I would check around for anything that could have poisoned them, bacterial or mold.
    If your other chickens are fine, I don't think it's the grain.
    That's pretty quick between the symptoms and death. That's why I say poisoning. It also seems to affect their nervous system.

Rat poison? Mold? fungus? snake bite? Bad food?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by