two coops, two flocks

roxyz

Hatching
8 Years
Jul 27, 2011
My partner and I started off with one coop and one flock (3 chickens). We then got 'the itch' and had to have some chicks, so we decided to buy another coop and connect the two coops with a run. So it looks kind of like this (the xs are the coops and the dashes are the run). X--------------X We thought that when we added the babies and things settled down that they would choose a coop with their flock and use both coops. Nope. They all squish themselves into one coop! I guess, in a way, this is a good sign, because it means (I think) they have joined forces and are one flock now. But it also means they're squished up together at night and the other coop (which was expensive) is going unused. There really isn't a way to expand the coop they use, and we really don't want to start all over with a bigger coop that all will fit into, because we've invested a lot of money into the setup we have now.

Any suggestions? Is there anything we can do to get them to divide up at night and is this even a good idea?

If you lock each flock up in their own coop for a week or so, they will get the message.
Actually, just lock up the new flock for a while.

Last edited:
Is it a good idea to intervene or should I leave them be? Do you mean take all of the babies out and put them in the other coop every night?

Looks like good chicken math......I'd get more chickens
ya.gif

Ok back to being serious....if you live somewhere that has bad winters I would seperate them during the harsh parts when they cant even come outside most of the day. If you dont have bad winters.... refer back to chicken math!

Well...about the chicken math...we'd love to, but we're limited to 6 because we're near the city. I'm not sure what I'm going to do when chick fever hits in the Spring! :)

Quote:
You've got it! Personally, I would lock them up 24/7 for a week or so.

if they thought they where crouded theyed use the other coop

Quote:
You've got it! Personally, I would lock them up 24/7 for a week or so.

I don't really want to do that (lock them up for a week or so) because the coops don't have any light, so they would be in the dark for that long. I think I'll try locking them up in the separate coops at night and see how that goes.

Back
Top Bottom