two coyotes this morning chased my dogs....

The 3 musketeers on the sofa sleeping made me laugh out loud. My pets have the same 'rough' life. Gotta love um all!
lol.png

Tonight (right about dusk) when hubby and I went out to do chores, we heard the coyotes down in the woods that run behind the lower coops gathering up (howling to each other) and it was CLOSE!! (maybe 50 yards to the bottom of the hill where it sounded like they were)

Hubby grabbed the gun and stood there awhile, but they didn't make anymore noise. Then later after we came in the heard them howling further off, so I guess they've gone to easier pickings for tonight.

Toby must have learned something (or he knows when mama or daddy gets the gun to stay put) because he sat there, alert, but didn't run off down into the woods. Makes me wonder how much instinct a beagle has for hunting - that they'd recognize that the gun means to sit still and wait for it. Toby has been out when hubby and I were target shooting before, so he knows to stay behind us, at least.

He learns pretty quickly - I love that dog
big_smile.png

I may crack the bedroom window tonight so I can hear the geese go off, or the donkeys - both of which will have a hissy fit if anything is bothering around their area.

We have a baby donkey out there - had two last fall, and I've seen how the donkeys deal with a threat if they have a baby in their midst.
Pretty amazing, actually, they all line up with the babies behind them or in the center of them, and start braying as a warning. They all help raise those babies, too. Our little guy we have out there now has 7 mamas and a daddy
smile.png
- (not even HIS daddy, but he takes care of him anyway).

meri

Last edited:
ohhhhhh meri, any chance you can share a pic of you baby donkey? They are so cute. one of my favorits. I had one from an auction from i think the wild donkey rescue thing, her name was C6 and was absolutly the most trustworthy animal on the ranch. Loved us and her whole ranch family and would come over to our house and sleep on our pourch waiting for us to come scratch. She was mostly black and a real odd wide back.

Well, the coyotes are STILL out there howling and running around our property.

man, they sure are fixated on this place today - like I'm a coyote buffet here or soemthing
sad.png

not great pics - these were taken the day after he was born - that was in early Sept.

this one is Smokey, his Mama - Michelle, and his big sister Spooky (sniffing his butt
gig.gif
)
P0003878.jpg

Smokey and Michelle.
P0003876.jpg

However, cuter by far was my Nutter Butter - she's a mini and she was 4 months old when this was taken...

P0002967.jpg

P0002973.jpg

Butters is my favorite donkey
big_smile.png
she's a year old, now, and still only stands about 32 inches tall.

eta - Smokey, at one month old (about a month old) stands a tiny bit taller than Butters does at one year old.

meri

Last edited:
The coys here hunt in packs and you can see them in packs of 6 to 8 at a time. There's nothing scarier than to look out the back door and see their eyes glowing back at you from the woods.

I have 4 dogs, 3 of them large but even they are no match for 8 coys. We don't have a choice to leave the dogs in the house at night. We let them out in their run during the day, all day and then periodically during the night.

You have some good dogs there, hun!!

Laurie

One of the best things that I ever did was to train the wife's Airedales to never cross a fence without permission.

One of the Coyote's favorite tricks to to have one lead the dogs away while another comes in from the opposite side to steal prey. If the winter gets harsh they will come in even closer too. just wish the hides were worth more. More trappers would get out and reduce the population.

What cute critters you have!!

Coyotes absolutely lure dogs away and ambush them. A single coyote cut off my parents' dog Sabrina, and a second one jumped out of the bushes on her when she realized she couldn't turn back to the house. My dad got off a couple of shots (as Mr. NRA he always walks the property packing something) so they finally ran off but Sabrina was quite badly torn up and had big time surgical repair for that one. She was a very large Husky cross, and very smart too.

We've had a coyote also take our little Peke right off the front porch, in the suburbs. She was a great little dog, as a result of that incident to this day I take my dogs to the fenced back yard at night to go potty, instead of just letting them out in front.

I'd put some more effort into ridding your area of these particular coyotes, it sounds like they won't stop until they get at least one of your animals.
hmm.png

Quote:
thanks
big_smile.png
I think so too.

I won't let them out tonight, Toby wants to go out, but he's gonna have to suffer til morning when I can see if the coyotes are in the fields. I can hear them, but not see them, so he isn't setting foot outside tonight.

If I lose a duck or a goose, I'll be bummed, but I can replace those easier than I can replace Toby.

It's awful hard sometimes to find a good dog.

I've known two excellent dogs in my entire life (known a lot of good dogs, but only two I would pay any amount of money to own) - Toby and my brother in law's dog Elvis - he was an anatolian sheperd mixed with somethign else - VERY smart dog and the sweetest thing.

The whole family cried when Elvis died (of old age). Even those of us who didn't actually own him or live there to see him every day - that's how good of a dog he was. If Toby turns out to be half as good as Elvis in his time here, I will be blessed with a fantastic dog.

meri

Back
Top Bottom