Two day old chick with possible insect bite

Ariel301

Songster
10 Years
Nov 14, 2009
Kingman Arizona
I was playing with my two day old Plymouth Rock chicks this evening and noticed one has a badly swollen foot. I examined the foot and it is red and swollen around the toes and ankle, with what looks like some sort of a bite wound from an insect maybe. The chick seems slightly sleepy, but otherwise ok, walking fine and playing with its siblings. The chicks are in a brooder in my bathroom, with a lid over them that has air holes in it. (plastic storage tote) We have a big problem with ants, spiders, and scorpions, among other bugs. I've never seen an issue like this though...I did not find any bug in the brooder when I cleaned it out to check, so it could have come in, did its thing, then left. I think if it was a scorpion, the chick would have died quickly, so it was most likely something else. The chick was fine at 4 this morning when I checked them last.

Any ideas on how to try treating it, or just wait and see?

Huuummmm id say mabie bumble foot but it doesent sound like it.... rub some benadrill (miss-spelled) Cream and bandage it... Dip it in cold water try to keep an eye on it...
caf.gif

Thanks. No, it's definitely not bumble foot. I'd hope not, two days after hatching!

The foot is still swollen, but still not bothering the chick. But this morning, a chick in the brooder that had been perfectly fine was found dead with no obvious cause. And now two more on the way out...the only symptom is that they seem really sleepy. I keep forcing them to take some water, but they won't eat.

Back
Top Bottom