Two day old chicks not emerging from under hen

downtown

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 4, 2016
San Diego, California
Hello. I am a little concerned that my two day old chicks have not emerged from underneath my broody hen to either drink or eat i.e. my hen has not led them out and/or they have not emerged on their own.

Earlier today I reached under the hen and removed each chick one by one and showed them the water by dipping their beaks in.

My Black Australop went broody for the first time 22 days ago. We don't have a rooster and I so I gave her some fake eggs to sit on. Last night I put six day old chicks (from a local feed store) under her. These same chicks drank and ate lots when I had them under a heat lamp in a temporary brooding pen until nightfall.

Though the transition seems to be going well and my hen is keeping them all warm, I am a little concerned about their need for water and food. I live in San Diego where the outside temperature today is 67 and sunny and so I don't think the weather is the issue.

Am I just being overly concerned? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

They should be okay. When they hatch, they have enough yolk in their belly to sustain them for three days. The "day old" chicks maybe be a couple days old, because they were probably shipped in.

I would make sure that food and water are easily accessible and try to check on them more often in the first few days. Once one chick learns, the rest will follow.

Is the Mama hen calling them or making "buck buck" sounds to them when they cheep? If so, she has probably accepted them.

I suspect that she has taken them for food/water while you weren't watching.

Did you take the dummy eggs away?

Back
Top Bottom