two day old quail chick with crusty eye

Drip some warm saline or water over the eyelids to moisten them. Use a small clean cloth to wipe away any crust. Warm wet compress will usually soften crust to make it easier to remove. Apply Terramycin eye ointment into the eye twice a day after cleaning. Plain Neosporin ointment works if you cannot get Terramycin. Crusty eye drainage can be a sign of respiratory diseases such as MG.

Did you ever figure out what works? My 2 day old baby quail chick has crusty eyes today. I found a dead one in the brooder this morning. I’ve been using Tarramycin. But now he just wants to be held and won’t eat or drink. :(

Did you ever figure out what works? My 2 day old baby quail chick has crusty eyes today. I found a dead one in the brooder this morning. I’ve been using Tarramycin. But now he just wants to be held and won’t eat or drink. :(
If the chick won't eat, after wiping away the crust and treating the eye, mix some water with the food at try to put it in the chicks mouth. I had to do that with my chick a few weeks later when's he stopped eating. Sometimes they will spit it out but once they get it down their throut and realize it's food, they will slowly start to eat on their own.

If the chick won't eat, after wiping away the crust and treating the eye, mix some water with the food at try to put it in the chicks mouth. I had to do that with my chick a few weeks later when's he stopped eating. Sometimes they will spit it out but once they get it down their throut and realize it's food, they will slowly start to eat on their own.
Thank you! Chick is on the mend. Crossing fingers!

Back
Top Bottom