Two dead ducks when I came home

camotruck

Chirping
May 22, 2010
NW Ohio
Last night I came home to find my beloved quackers, Thelma and Louise (Weezie), an African Runner and a Rouen, dead in their run. Weezie had been attacked by something, all the feathers on her neck were gone and her face was mostly eaten away. I looked for Thelma, then noticed her in the baby pool, completely submerged under a layer of ice. When I broke Thelma out of the ice she was obviously dead, but she didn't have a scratch on her. Not a feather was out of place. I looked all around the run with my headlamp on my head to try to find where it was breached. I definitely didn't see anything a raccoon could pass through. I looked around more for tracks but saw mostly deer and rabbit. Although there were bare spots of ground in the area, and much of the rabbit traffic was pretty heavy, so other tracks could have been there. The only thing I can think that got in would be a mink. I've had the ducks in the same run for two and a half years, trapped 8 or 10 raccoons over that time, but never a breach. So, maybe a mink got in and killed Weezie, and had a meal. But then what happened to Thelma, she didn't have a scratch, no sign of a struggle. Could she have laid in the pool after Weezie died and drowned? She was in a peaceful position, and her head was only inches from Weezie, pointing in her direction; the only thing separating them was the wall of the baby pool.

I am heartbroken. But, all in all, I'm sort of glad they went out together. I'm not sure what one would have done without the other.

I just wonder what happened to Thelma.

So sorry for your loss. My suspect would be a weasel. If you have a game camera put it up because most likely the predator has been lurking and then you will know what killed your bird and it most likely will be back. Good luck...

Last night I came home to find my beloved quackers, Thelma and Louise (Weezie), an African Runner and a Rouen, dead in their run. Weezie had been attacked by something, all the feathers on her neck were gone and her face was mostly eaten away. I looked for Thelma, then noticed her in the baby pool, completely submerged under a layer of ice. When I broke Thelma out of the ice she was obviously dead, but she didn't have a scratch on her. Not a feather was out of place. I looked all around the run with my headlamp on my head to try to find where it was breached. I definitely didn't see anything a raccoon could pass through. I looked around more for tracks but saw mostly deer and rabbit. Although there were bare spots of ground in the area, and much of the rabbit traffic was pretty heavy, so other tracks could have been there. The only thing I can think that got in would be a mink. I've had the ducks in the same run for two and a half years, trapped 8 or 10 raccoons over that time, but never a breach. So, maybe a mink got in and killed Weezie, and had a meal. But then what happened to Thelma, she didn't have a scratch, no sign of a struggle. Could she have laid in the pool after Weezie died and drowned? She was in a peaceful position, and her head was only inches from Weezie, pointing in her direction; the only thing separating them was the wall of the baby pool.

I am heartbroken. But, all in all, I'm sort of glad they went out together. I'm not sure what one would have done without the other.

I just wonder what happened to Thelma.
So very cruel and they become family and my husband and myself lost ducks and a goose recently. Interesting to know what happened to Thelma alright!:hit

Back
Top Bottom