Figgy
  • 14 month old Runner
  • Sitting a lot
  • Panting

Julep
  • Pekin
  • Age unknown, but over a year old
  • Not sitting as much but panting more
They get Nutrena all flock plus nutritional yeast and several hours of foraging time each day. Oyster and egg shells for calcium free choice. Figgy already gets extra calcium regularly.

I don't really see anything in the video wrong with figgy.

How warm has it been? Pekin easily overheat. The weather has been a bit odd here, but it has been getting warmer again. I would double check that.

It is a possibility her calcium is getting low. Pekin are a bit easy to tell. Their beaks get really pale. It looks like that in your video, but I would compare it to when you got her.

See how pale my Pekins beak is in this picture. This is due to non-stop laying.

PXL_20211022_165436026.jpg

Here you can see the color has come back to her beak after supplementing it with calcium.
DSC_2070.JPG

How warm has it been? Pekin easily overheat. The weather has been a bit odd here, but it has been getting warmer again. I would double check that.

It is a possibility her calcium is getting low. Pekin are a bit easy to tell. Their beaks get really pale. It looks like that in your video, but I would compare it to when you got her.

View attachment 3140431

Here you can see the color has come back to her beak after supplementing it with calcium.
View attachment 3140433
She does look pale.

Would it be overkill if I supplemented all 5 of my ducks with calcium? I was thinking it'd be easier.

View attachment 3140431

View attachment 3140433
And it wasnt hot today, but today was probably the hottest day we've had so far.

My Pekin doesn't usually pant when she has egg issues, but often pants when it is hot. I would lean to that being why she is panting. But her beak is quite pale. There are lots of others who have problems with Pekins continuously laying. I like to use calcium citrate because it is easier to administer. My Pekin gets it twice a day every day.

I am not sure if I would treat the other three. Too much calcium can potentially cause problems for them. Have you seen any of your ducks eat oyster shells?

My Pekin doesn't usually pant when she has egg issues, but often pants when it is hot. I would lean to that being why she is panting. But her beak is quite pale. There are lots of others who have problems with Pekins continuously laying. I like to use calcium citrate because it is easier to administer. My Pekin gets it twice a day every day.

I am not sure if I would treat the other three. Too much calcium can potentially cause problems for them. Have you seen any of your ducks eat oyster shells?
They are not huge fans of oyster, but they love egg shells.

They are not huge fans of oyster, but they love egg shells.
Some ducks seem to be picky about oyster shells. I have a few that are terrible at eating them, my Pekin in particular. I have only seen her eat them when I put mealworms on them. She is the main reason I started giving my ducks layer feed on the side.

I can give Figgy and Juleo extra calcium for a few weeks and see how it goes.
Is figgy still scheduled to see the vet?

Some ducks seem to be picky about oyster shells. I have a few that are terrible at eating them, my Pekin in particular. I have only seen her eat them when I put mealworms on them. She is the main reason I started giving my ducks layer feed on the side.

Is figgy still scheduled to see the vet?
Yes. Her appt is still a couple of weeks out.

I can so layer feed, but I gave 2 roosters and 6 pullets who aren't yet laying.

Honestly, I hope to separate the ducks soon. I just don't have enough time right now. And we are shelling out several thousand dollars for storm clean up and wildfire prevention. I actually picked up 2 summer jobs to soften that blow, but I hope to move my chickens to the pasture soon and keep the duckies separate. I'll need a new coop and some additional fencing to accomplish that. It's all a bit much right now.

Back
Top Bottom