Two eggs in one day! How?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by WAPFMom, Jul 10, 2010.

1. WAPFMom

WAPFMom New Egg

Jun 13, 2010
    My one and only Americauna hen layed two regular-size eggs today! Is that even possible? I don't think I'd believe it if I wasn't the one that gathered them myself both yesterday (when we found her new "nest" in the garage) and today. She just got done molting, I think. She didn't lay for 11 days, then we found her nesting on the bottom of one of the shelves in the garage, and there was 4 eggs in there when she got up. I took these, hoping she would start laying again in the henhouse nest boxes. I didn't see a blue one in the henhouse tonight, so I looked on that shelf, and there were not one, but TWO blue eggs in there! And they are both regular size for her (about 2 ounces). Has anyone else had a chicken lay two eggs on one day before?

2. NonnasBabies

NonnasBabies Muddy Acre Farms Premium Member

Sep 20, 2009
    On the Farm!
    I've heard of it. Something to do with how the eggs cycle down that there is a possibility that of it happening!

Missi

3. CalebtheChicken

CalebtheChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Jeremiah, Ky.
    When she first got started, my Australorp once laid 3 eggs in a day. All 3 were normal, perfect size. I still to this day don't know how on Earth she did it...

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

It's rare but happens. I've 2 times have gotten 5 eggs from 4 hens. I've read that it is usually one egg laid early in the day and another laid late.

Imp

5. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    I have also had Warren hens lay twice in 24 hours whilst they were mature but still young,

Sandie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by