Two eggs in one day!

NewChickmom2016

Songster
5 Years
May 25, 2016
Well, well, well - was I ever surprised this morning! Our Black Australorp, Dottie- laid 2 eggs this morning- one right after the other! Full size eggs for her- 47 and 48 grams. She has been laying nearly every day at about 46-48 grams. She started off with 38 gram eggs just over 2 weeks ago and has steadily increased the size.
I know she laid them both this morning- we had checked the nesting box after they went to roost last night. Of our 3 pullets she was the first to lay. The second just started laying and gave us her 2nd egg today. The third pullet is a ways from laying.
Anyone else ever have 2 eggs in one day from the same pullet?
thanks for any input on this!
-Jerie

Yes, but the second one usually has no shell or a very thin shell. It's not unusual for them to do this until they get their schedule all worked out, especially if they are new layers.

Thanks Peeps!
Weird thing is- shells look and feel normal! And size of both is what she has been laying. Wonder if one is yolk less. Will mark them so I know which ones when I crack them!

New layers will sometimes double ovulate, usually they become double yolked eggs but occasionally they get made up as two separate eggs, so it can happen but not often.

Thanks Oldhenlikesdogs-
From the size and weight- I think there is a yolk in both. Will be interesting when we use them!
So many things to learn about chickens!
-Jerie

Back
Top Bottom