Two eggs pipped at day 18.5 wrong end

liljunie

Chirping
7 Years
Jan 1, 2013
I am hatching my 5th set of silkie eggs. I am using a brinsea mini, very stable temps and humidity. Eggs were left for 24 hours after shipping (pointy side down). I have had excellent hatch rates using the Brinsea.

Yesterday afternoon; about 12 hours after lockdown day 18 I had two eggs side by side both from Blue pen pip on wrong end. Since I worked all day, I don't know exactly when they pipped. I gently removed a bit of shell (both chicks are chirping). I opened the hole a bit and got a spot of blood so stopped and put the back in the incubator on a damp cloth to increase humidity. A couple of hours later, removed a little more shell, again a spot of blood stopped and put them back. This morning I check them, still chirping removed more shell, got a blood spot and stopped. Now I am at work with my fingers crossed that they will hatch before I get home.

None of the other eggs (16 total) have pipped yet. It seems weird to me two pipped, early and on the wrong end!

They will pip where the airpocket isn't sometimes. They should be okay though a bit tired. Don't worry too much.

It has been over 24 hours since the pip so I helped one out of the shell, there was a bit of blood so my fingers are crossed. The other one started to bleed when I moved the membrane, so I put it back. The yoke of the first one was completely absorbed. The rest of the hatch it starting to pip.

How long should I wait for the one that has been pipped for 24+hrs before helping again?

Back
Top Bottom