Two eggs today from the same hen.

rebecca10782

Songster
11 Years
Apr 24, 2008
This morning we got four eggs from our four hens. Later when they were running down the driveway, Sienna stretched her body out looking sort of confussed, put her butt to the ground and layed a second egg without a shell
idunno.gif
They have been laying for a little over a month and we have never got one like this. BUT it is the second hen that has laid two eggs in one day. A few weeks back Stella laid two and we know for sure because she is the only EE that we have who is old enough to lay. They get enough calcium, so that is not the problem. The only conclusion we could come up with is that she used up all the calcium to make her first shell??? She has laid everyday until yesterday, so she must have been backed up a day
gig.gif
But I am very surprised to have this happen twice in such a sort time because from what I hear, it is VERY rare
hmm.png

It is rare. Count your blessings.

We use the soft shelled ones for scrambled eggs. If we get them when they are fresh laid.

Oh, I just pinched the top of and poured it into the pan and cooked it overeasy
smile.png
It felt so weird rolling around in my hand before I opened it
big_smile.png

Yesterday, I also got a egg in the morning and a egg in the afternoon. I guess some lay double-yolkers that's like two eggs in the same shell I suppose. I don't know but it's just lucky.
thumbsup.gif

Funny, I just posted yesterday on the same thing......I have a hen that lays 2 every day, she has for a couple weeks. Twice, she laid a double yolker. Interesting.........
idunno.gif

Wow two a day for that long! Poor girl. What breed is she? Our girls only started laying a little over a month ago and I got a double yolk from Stella on her 6th day. I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that hatchery birds are being breed for good production??? Or just being taken care of so well??? My mom keeps saying that must be it. We bought 14 birds because they are only supposed to lay 2-3 eggs a week each. Our first 4 hens are laying an egg a day. Even our Turken who supposedly should only lay 2 times a week
idunno.gif
I don't know what we are going to do with all the eggs if each one lays 1 a day. That's like a few hundred eggs a month! I guess our neighbors will be very happy
smile.png

Last edited:
I have 5 hens that are about 6 1/2 months old. I have consistently been getting four eggs every day for about 3 weeks, so I figured one of them hadn't started laying yet. Last night I got home late and collected the usual 4. This morning it was raining hard, so I left them in the coop till about 1:00, and when I let them out, there were SIX eggs in the nests. Pretty exciting, huh? Maybe its something to do with the barometer. Any ideas?

I have got a lot of hens with only 2 of them being araucana's but I have gotten 3 eggs a day from them for the last 8 weeks. 2 green and 1 blue. It will be 1 large green 1 large blue and 1 small green every day. Before they started the extra every day I did not get anything from either of them for about 2 1/2 weeks. Of the other 43 hens I cant tell who is laying when but those two are easy to pick out of the group.

Back
Top Bottom