Two feeding questions....

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by coop-er, Dec 5, 2013.

1. coop-er

coop-er Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2012
    1) I have always used crumble but accidently bought 50# bag of pellets. Will this be a problem for my "ladies"? I have RIR, Swedish Flowers and Golden Sebrights....(my Sebrights are small)
    2) Is there anything I should be adding to their food to help them stay healthy and robust to thrive in the winter weather?

2. LoneOak

LoneOak Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2013
    West of Atlanta
    Crumbles and pellets (of the same brand) are generally the exact same feed just processed differently. The mill where my feed comes from makes all their feed into pellets to begin with, they then crush them in one more process to make crumbles. Crumbles are usually made for commercial operations that use screw conveyors to move the feed around where the feed is left in pellet form for people like us that feed small amounts and hate for our birds to make a mess with their feed. Birds don't scatter pellets nearly as bad as they do crumbles so there is less mess and waste.

3. coop-er

coop-er Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2012
    I
    Interesting...thanks for the info!

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Some birds do resist the pellets at first as they are more work to eat. They may seem big, but even your little bantams will be able to break the pellets up with their beaks and eat them. As stated, it's the same feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by