two geese can't walk both within three days

I had to put the first two down. One was flat on its back and couldnt move. There is one common thread among the effected geese, they all had snuck out of the lot (livestock panels they can still sqeeze through) and journeyed across a fresh cut hay field and went about a 1/4 mile away three days in a row. One of the ok geese did one time but so far its ok. I wonder if they ate something that was bad? The problem is the effected geese dont want to eat or drink. Their mouthes were also black and dirty inside.

It sounds like botulism to me, they probably got into a dead animal when they went into the hay field. I lost a bunch of ducks and a couple of goslings a few years ago and the Vet said he thought it was botulism. Still don't know where they were exposed. But the botulism spore lives in the soil and sometimes weather conditions allow it to grow. It slowly paralysis the system, first motor functions and then the lungs and such. I believe I read that making sure that they drink a lot of fresh water when they are first sick helps flush the toxin out of their system. It may say something about it in Dave H's book about ducks or geese. I had a couple survive when I caught it early. I would also cut back on the protein for a little while and make sure they get a lot of good grass. I had problems with certain geese when I bought some high protein layer feed for them because it was cheaper:( I had two of my girls start tottering around like drunks, they acted like they had neurological issues. They started getting better as soon as I cut the feed out and kept them on grass and a few grower pellets only. Not sure if that was the reason, but it happened twice, both times when they were being fed high protein layer feed.

I do think the first two geese had botulism, the one flat on its back that couldnt moved to me was more than just a niacin def. However the third goose showing the week legs pulled through. Only a day and a half of week leg symptoms. I actually had been feeding mine mostly on grass with a little corn. (I was afraid of angel wing with all the high protien feeds) But I read in my "feeds and feeding " book that a diet high in corn requires more niacin than normal. The past few days I have been feeding them whole grains (wheat, milo pigeon peas, millet) sprinkled with niacin and b-vitamins and niacin drops in the water. I am going to try to find some waterfowl feed no luck so far. I might get some wheat if I cant find any. Wheat seems pretty high in niacin.

I don't think wheat is high in Niacin, most wheat flour has it added (enriched). I just did a quick search on it, nothing in depth and saw somewhere that what niacin that is naturally in grains may be bound to the sugars and isn't bioavailable.

You might also want to check with the owners of the hayfield and see if it was treated with anything to rule out poison. I also have to wonder about the possibility that the hay had blister beetles and the geese may have eaten some. They can be fatal to horses and may harm poultry, too. I hope you find the cause!

I have been thinking about getting geese, so was looking at the posts in this section for information.

I do have Muscovies and instead of brewers yeast I use Nutrional Yeast for all my different birds, cats and dogs. Anyone looks a little peeked, I add it to their feed. Haven't had any problems with weak legs since I started doing that. I add it regularly to the duck feed. Besides its good on Pop Corn. I started using it about 10 years ago for a cat that had Renal failure, with the Vets blessing. It didn't heal the cat but he felt better and got around better, the quality of life thing. I still had some when I got the ducks and tried it and it worled.

I buy mine from bulkfoods.com by the 5# bag, you can freeze it, I don't because I use a bags a year. UPS delivers it and I order enough not to have to pay much on shipping. Or you can get it from a health food store if you want to try it out. Its very high in B Vitamins and Niacin and unlike brewers yeast is palatable.

Quote:
Matt, if they are on grass, they shouldn't need any extra additives. Geese live on grass mostly. I give mine a bit of flock raiser and sweet feed mixed together, they take 5-6 bites each and leave it for the lawn. If they have access to grazing all day they won't need much more, and high protein won't bother them much if at all.

I have read that to much protein can lead to a condition call Angel Wing. I have flock raiser for my chickens but try not to let my geese eat it. Maybe if they get into the other feeders, but I give them the grower finisher because they can't eat the layer food. So al of my adult chickens eat grower finisher to make it simpler and I give grit and calcium extra.

Quote:
I feed mine flock raiser all the time, but they have free-range pasture as well. Angel wing can be caused by their diet, though it is debated whether it's from high protein or high carbs. It can also be hereditary. I feed mine flock raiser exclusively till they are at least 2 weeks old, then they get free choice flock raiser and pasturing.

Quote:
I feed mine flock raiser all the time, but they have free-range pasture as well. Angel wing can be caused by their diet, though it is debated whether it's from high protein or high carbs. It can also be hereditary. I feed mine flock raiser exclusively till they are at least 2 weeks old, then they get free choice flock raiser and pasturing.

Shelleyd - it must be that I am new to owning geese and am a worrier to the point of almost being obsessive over it. I read alot and sometimes that gets me into trouble with my normal tendancies. My husband says that I need a life. lol.... Well I have a wonderful life. Two wonderful kids, a great husband, lots of chickens, cats, dog, fish, and added my 2 geese in May and going to college, working part-time outside the home. Didn't say it wasn't hectic and active but its a great life. So this is why I read alot to make sure I am doing things that proper way.

Thank you for the info and I won't feel so bad if Bonnie and Clyde have some flock raiser.

thanks again

I'm still new to geese, and I don't know much about diseases for them yet, but my geese just went through a terrible mystery disease.
You mentioned yours had a hard time breathing? I've never heard of brewer's yeast for geese, though I'll definitely think about using it now.

I had two geese who started having a hard time breathing, they gasped and really slowed down behind the rest of the flock. They didnt get as much food and started to loose a lot of weight. I thought Gape Worm, but no. Pnemonia? Thats what the vet thought. But we took them in for x-rays and the next thing I knew the first goose couldnt breath outside of a oxygen room and couldnt walk ect. She was breathing too hard to eat or drink. I ended up putting her down. Luckily, the other was far enough behind the other we were able to conduct more tests and medicate her. It ended up being a fungal infection in the lungs and chest that had gotten really bad. The medicated bird is fine today.

I am sorry for your loss

Back
Top Bottom