Two hour old chick shaking

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ginbart, Apr 27, 2008.

1. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    I have a chick that was born about two hours ago. It has been laying on its side and every couple of minutes it starts to shake. It is a RIW and I would hate to lose it. Is there anything I could do? I have not opened the bator because I have other eggs in there. I will open it if need be.

2. ginbart

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    So I will reply to myself, saying see what happens in the morning. Good night to me. LOL

3. bionic_chicken

bionic_chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Spring, TX
    I'm so sorry about your struggling chick. My prayers are with the little baby tonight. I hope it makes it and I hope you get some great advice. Meanwhile, hopeful thoughts are sent your way![​IMG]

4. ginbart

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Well it's 8am here and it's still on its back. I have tried to put it right side up but it keeps falling over and will not stand. Any idea's before I have to do what I think I have to do?

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Put it in a super warm dry brooder if it is still in the bator. If you cover shavings with paper towels make a little well and lay the chick in it so it is sort of in a nest. If it is not walking try the bandaid method for the legs and give it a couple days. I had one that took 36 - 48 hours to get itself under control and able to move around. I also had one that this did not help and I had to cull. I always at least give them a chance to prove me wrong. Good luck with this baby.

6. chickmomma30

chickmomma30 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2008
    Odessa MO
    Hello i hope all is well with the chick and i am thinking of you both.

7. normajean

normajean Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Howell, MI
    How is the little on doing?
    Maybe try to get him/her to eat a little mash with electrolytes in it...?
    Wish you well...
    take care

8. ginbart

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    It's 2:30pm and he didn't make it. I don't know what went wrong. It just stopped breathing. Not a good day, but I do have 18 that are doing great. I don't think thats to bad for a temp spike of 110. [​IMG]

9. appleton78

appleton78 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2008
    Hutchinson, MN
    Oh, so sorry....poor little peep.

Best of luck with the rest....I am sure s/he is happy and comfy now.

Thanks for trying!! :aww

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by