Two hour old chick shaking

ginbart

Crowing
12 Years
Mar 9, 2008
Bloomsburg, PA
I have a chick that was born about two hours ago. It has been laying on its side and every couple of minutes it starts to shake. It is a RIW and I would hate to lose it. Is there anything I could do? I have not opened the bator because I have other eggs in there. I will open it if need be.

I'm so sorry about your struggling chick. My prayers are with the little baby tonight. I hope it makes it and I hope you get some great advice. Meanwhile, hopeful thoughts are sent your way!
hugs.gif

Well it's 8am here and it's still on its back. I have tried to put it right side up but it keeps falling over and will not stand. Any idea's before I have to do what I think I have to do?

Put it in a super warm dry brooder if it is still in the bator. If you cover shavings with paper towels make a little well and lay the chick in it so it is sort of in a nest. If it is not walking try the bandaid method for the legs and give it a couple days. I had one that took 36 - 48 hours to get itself under control and able to move around. I also had one that this did not help and I had to cull. I always at least give them a chance to prove me wrong. Good luck with this baby.

It's 2:30pm and he didn't make it. I don't know what went wrong. It just stopped breathing. Not a good day, but I do have 18 that are doing great. I don't think thats to bad for a temp spike of 110.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom