TWO in 24 hours!!!

fowlweatherfriends

Songster
12 Years
Mar 14, 2007
The Sunny South
Well, snake "season" is officially started in my back yard. 2 water moccasins in less than 24 hours have met their early demise.

The first one was caught in the act of a strike pose aimed at my beloved Charlotte hen yesterday. I did a sweep this morning and another was waiting around. I have to say my 14 year old is a crack shot! He got em both the first shot!

I know, I know...some will say relocate them. Not me. When it comes to the safety of my five children I will dispatch them every time. Besides the lovely "drainage system" is basically little more than a 6 to 8 foot deep ditch that runs for miles-so you can rest assure that the pit viper population is going to be quite abundant.

Just gotta love the south's idea of draining water-stinky ole ditches! There's nothing but miles of woods on the other side of the drainage system-perfect for those sneaky suckers to breed and hang out
sad.png

and I thought I had it bad with 1 or 2 garter snakes.

Still very creepy to see them slither thro the straw. But at least I know they won't bite me. Living in Ontario Canada we don't have many poisonous snakes.
Now I saw a recent post that had pics of a "chicken" snake...or rat snake.....Now I think I would pee my pants if I saw that one in my coop.

Good luck to you in keeping your hens and family safe!

Yeah, we have seen several swimming in the ditch with their heads up-that's the difference between a "regular" water snake and a water moccasin. I usually let them swim on their way, but these recent ones are up on our land. I have read up on them and from what I read they are territorial. They match the ground debris so well that you really really have to look for them.

Oh, we also had copperheads last year too. I imagine we'll see some of those again. I am afraid to let the banties freerange because they would be such an easy meal. The bigger breeds would be a bit harder to swallow, so they should be ok (crossing fingers).

I believe they should be rehomed. BUT a poisonous snake is a completely different thing. Especially if you have kids around. I don't have kids, except my 32 animals, but I would kill a poisonous snake such as a water moccasin or copperhead without thinking. Sorry snake lovers.

I hate snakes but yes they should be rehomed. HOWEVER a poisonous snake, we are talking something totally different here. Give me a hoe, that's sucker is toast!! I'll leave the black snakes to do their thing but copperheads and water mocs are gonnna meet their maker!

Quote:
Oh, we've got those too! Eastern Diamondback and Timber Rattlers. We are an Equal Opportunity Snake state!!

OMG. Well, we have all types of snakes but the only deadly snake in California is the rattler. Hey, you keep the snakes and I'll keep the earthquakes!
wink.png

we have them too in the ditch behide our house and i saw a 6ft one!!! the other day i hate them!! but it just slithered off. we dont have any woods but still there are alot down here. id just kill them myself. i dont care what yall think puttin a snake in my car to ship it somewhere.... i dont think so.

Back
Top Bottom