Two level run?

citykitty

Songster
Apr 4, 2018
Cleveland, OH
Does anyone have a two level run? Please post pictures if you do. Not an upstairs coop, but the run itself is two levels of usable space.

I have a wire pen for my silkes, but they are ground dwellers, the don't even roost. I have room for them now but want to expand. Does anyone have a two level run? If I build a ramp they will go upstairs. I want to get some ideas, I think it's a great way to expand ground square footage because they aren't using the top half of the run, might as well not waste the space. The part I have to work with is about 7'x8', 6.5 feet tall.

I'm not too concerned with cleaning since it's just the run and not the coop so there will be plenty of airflow. I'll leave enough room in there for me to go in and change out wood chips. Or maybe I'll just put sand on the top part. I could probably build a box with the sides made out of 1x4s and fill it with whatever, and mount it on 4x4 posts. The chickens are so small, it could be 3' off the ground and they would have more than enough room. Bonus, they could go underneath when the weather isn't good. The run is covered, so it would just be some added protection. ETA, we put wood chips in all of the runs. The silkies are really good at breaking them down, the floor of the coop is really nice dirt for dust bathing.

Back
Top Bottom