Two med coops instead of one large?

DoeAndGander

Songster
5 Years
May 24, 2017
Southern Minnesota
Hey all! I've been reading threads for a while now and dreaming of my coop. One of the issues with the large coop design I'd like to build is I may want move it eventually to make room for a pole barn (a few years down the line). I just got the idea of doing two smaller coops with a run connecting the two. Is there any reason why I should not consider this? I realize I would have to dig up and redig all of my predator proofing but is there anything else I'm forgetting? I'm in Mn, do you think it will get too cold for two smaller coops (around 24 sq feet each)? If anyone has done this before or if there's a thread with posted ideas I would absolutely love ideas! You guys are awesome. The amount of information on this site blows me away. Thanks in advance!

20170524_153233.png

Hey all! I've been reading threads for a while now and dreaming of my coop. One of the issues with the large coop design I'd like to build is I may want move it eventually to make room for a pole barn (a few years down the line). I just got the idea of doing two smaller coops with a run connecting the two. Is there any reason why I should not consider this? I realize I would have to dig up and redig all of my predator proofing but is there anything else I'm forgetting? I'm in Mn, do you think it will get too cold for two smaller coops (around 24 sq feet each)? If anyone has done this before or if there's a thread with posted ideas I would absolutely love ideas! You guys are awesome. The amount of information on this site blows me away. Thanks in advance!
Ours is 2 kid playhouses connected by a pen. The dimensions are similar, one coop is 36 sf. and the other is 24 sf. The pen is 120 sf. I'm new and only one side and the pen are complete but here's a pic of our work in progress if it helps.

Attachments

• 0509171102_Film3.jpg
    0509171102_Film3.jpg
    836 KB · Views: 11
I have 2 small coops and 1 run. 1 coop is attached to the run and the other is inside the run. I did this so that the bantams would have extra protection in the winter in the inside coop and the 2 LF are in the attached coop. They share the 85 sq ft run and it works great

Attachments

• IMG_20170427_193719328.jpg
    IMG_20170427_193719328.jpg
    401.7 KB · Views: 12
The only thing that springs to mind is that you'll have 2 coops to clean (assuming your girls use both). You might find that everybody scrunches up together in just one of them.

I have 2 coops, but they are separate. When I got my "little girls" the "big girls" were mean to them so I kept them apart rather than persist with trying to integrate everybody. It makes me feel better that I don't have to deal with aggression issues.

It's up to you what you want to do, I think having something you are comfortable with is important. The chooks don't really care as long as they get their dinner and they've got enough room.

Ours is 2 kid playhouses connected by a pen. The dimensions are similar, one coop is 36 sf. and the other is 24 sf. The pen is 120 sf. I'm new and only one side and the pen are complete but here's a pic of our work in progress if it helps.

That looks fun! Thanks for the photo. I wish I had an existing building to play around with vs starting from scratch. I think it would help.. I have too many options from scratch! Lol

I have 2 small coops and 1 run. 1 coop is attached to the run and the other is inside the run. I did this so that the bantams would have extra protection in the winter in the inside coop and the 2 LF are in the attached coop. They share the 85 sq ft run and it works great

I never considered a coop inside the run! So great to know out helps with warmth as I do plan on getting bantams eventually. Thanks for sharing!

The only thing that springs to mind is that you'll have 2 coops to clean (assuming your girls use both). You might find that everybody scrunches up together in just one of them.

I have 2 coops, but they are separate. When I got my "little girls" the "big girls" were mean to them so I kept them apart rather than persist with trying to integrate everybody. It makes me feel better that I don't have to deal with aggression issues.

It's up to you what you want to do, I think having something you are comfortable with is important. The chooks don't really care as long as they get their dinner and they've got enough room.[/QUOTE

Having different age groups was a reason I was considering 2 coops as well. Good call on double the cleaning! Being I'm a newbie, maybe I should keep it as simple as possible and just stick with one. I didn't realize they may huddle in one coop! I just assumed once they were conditioned to where "home" was they would march to the right house in the evening. Thanks for the info!

I didn't realize they may huddle in one coop! I just assumed once they were conditioned to where "home" was they would march to the right house in the evening.
Oh, they'll go to the "right house" but they'll decide where that is and if they all decide it's one house, then one house it'll be LOL. When I got the big girls their house, most of them were sleeping on the verandah. I think they go inside now, but to start with, they weren't even going inside. It was pathetic, they had this enormous "chook mansion" and they were huddled on the verandah. They've got a big roost, and they sit up on top of the nest box. That would be the nest box they ignore and lay on the floor next to.....

You can supply a house with a place for this and a place for that, and they'll just decide what they want to do.

I think their natural tendency is to keep together with the flock, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if they didn't spread out and make use of both houses if they had 2 to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom