Two new crias this week!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by HHandbasket, Nov 8, 2011.

1. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

As some of you know, my DH and I are assistant caretakers at Alpacas of Somerset Farm in the Sierras. Well, we have had 2 new crias (baby alpacas) born this week, one yesterday and one today! We were able to be here for the birth of today's cria. Both new crias are males.

Here are some pics I wanted to share. First, this is the cria that was born yesterday, 11/7/11. He is showing great fiber already & was a little premature and is a little smaller than usual, but he is strong and vigorous and very healthy. His mother is a maiden (that means this was her first baby), and she was a little iffy at first about him nursing but has worked it out. The baby is about 21 hours old in this picture.

[​IMG]

Here's a pic of the cria born today along with his mama, approximately 5 minutes after his birth.

[​IMG]

Now, here are both mamas and their crias.

[​IMG]

Last but not least, here's the cria born today, 11/8/11/, after he's dried off a little bit. He is about half an hour old in this picture.

[​IMG]

How could anybody not love alpacas? These are the most amazing animals, and we are SO blessed to be able to help in their care.

2. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    Aww, so cute!

3. CupOJoe42

CupOJoe42 CT Chicken Whisperer

Apr 11, 2011
    My friend's alpaca had a baby girl this week too!!! Congratulations and Blessings!!!

4. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    They are adorable! The brown one's legs look so long. It's adorable! Congrats! [​IMG]

5. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    [​IMG]
    I want an alpaca but DH says I can't unless I trade in the cats.
    I thought about trading HIM in on an alpaca, but then I'd have to wash dishes and do laundry.

So, no alpaca for me for a while <sigh> [​IMG]

Thanks for posting the pictures!

6. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    [​IMG]
    I had Alpacas for like a week once.. [​IMG]
    Very sweet creatures.. [​IMG]

7. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    Oh! Great pictures! Thanks for sharing. So cute!

8. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

Now at a couple of days old, both young crias are doing well and are very strong and healthy. They were not really due until the 18th, but they're doing well. Will have more pics tomorrow to share. We have another cria coming in about 4 weeks and several more in the spring. This is our first year here on the ranch, and this is so wonderful and exciting for us!

9. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Last month I had a preemie llama cria born, only 10 lbs, then she got septic.... With much nursing she has pooled through and is going to be one spoiled little girl. I need a girl for my male alpaca....

Crias are just so much fun....

[​IMG]
    A few days after she was born.....

[​IMG]
    Peaches a few weeks ago...

[​IMG]
    My 7 month old Alpaca male.... still needs a name [​IMG]

10. xchairity_casex

xchairity_casex Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    oh my how adorable all those babies are!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by