Two new hens won’t use roosts

Kluckners

Chirping
Apr 25, 2020
Seattle
I recently added two new hens (about 6 months old) to my flock of four one year old hens. So now I’ve got six hens. Everything has been going well, they all get along, a few pecks here and there.

But every night the two new hens go to sleep in the nesting boxes, not the roosts. I think the older hens might be pecking them when they try to get on the roost.

If I go in there and place the two new hens on the roosts, they’ll stay there and the other hens don’t mind. But I don’t want to keep doing this every night.

Any ideas? I’ve thought about covering or removing the nesting boxes just before bedtime.

I’ve thought about covering or removing the nesting boxes just before bedtime.
That's what I would do.
I rigged up a hinged cover, close it about an hour before roost time, then uncover when locking up after dark.
full

full

Do you have 1 roost or 2? If 2, how far apart are they from each other?

Yes it's likely they tried roosting at some point and the existing birds kicked them off. A separate roost (if you only have 1) that's placed at least 14-16" or more from the other may help.

Welcome to my world. LOL I have 5 pullets that are almost 6 months old and they all sleep on the floor! (No danger of anyone picking on them as they are my only chickens.) They have ZERO interest in roosting on anything, nor will they even
climb on the branches in the run. They either jump/fly over or crawl under to get from point A to point B. They act like the branches are made out of lava. LOL

Hmm, I've tried covering the nesting boxes and now they're just sleeping on the floor.

I have 2 roosts that are 4 feet long and 1 foot apart.

As soon as I place the 2 new birds on the roosts, they stay there through the night and the other birds won't bother them. But they won't go there themselves.

Are those two laying yet? What you describe sounds pretty normal in my flock, the pullets don't sleep on the main roosts with the adults until they mature enough to force their way into the pecking order. That's typically about the time they start to lay or just after.

During the day mine also tend to stay separated from the adults. Are you seeing that? Some batches are a lot worse than others about this. Some mingle a lot, some never do until they mature enough to stand up to the bullies. Some older hens are worse about being bullies than others. Each flock has its own dynamics, those change every year.

This type of behavior is so common in my flock that I put up a separate juvenile roost. It is lower than the main roosts, horizontally separated by a few feet, and higher than the nests. This pretty well solved the problem of them sleeping in the nests until they are mature enough to sleep with the big girls. Your coop may not be big enough to do that.

Are those two laying yet? What you describe sounds pretty normal in my flock, the pullets don't sleep on the main roosts with the adults until they mature enough to force their way into the pecking order. That's typically about the time they start to lay or just after.

During the day mine also tend to stay separated from the adults. Are you seeing that? Some batches are a lot worse than others about this. Some mingle a lot, some never do until they mature enough to stand up to the bullies. Some older hens are worse about being bullies than others. Each flock has its own dynamics, those change every year.

This type of behavior is so common in my flock that I put up a separate juvenile roost. It is lower than the main roosts, horizontally separated by a few feet, and higher than the nests. This pretty well solved the problem of them sleeping in the nests until they are mature enough to sleep with the big girls. Your coop may not be big enough to do that.
One (prairie bluebell egger) was laying when we got her, but has since stopped laying. She's probably stressed by the new environment. The other (Silkie) isn't laying yet.

They do spend most of their time together and a little bit separate from the older ladies.

My coop isn't quite big enough for what you're suggesting, but maybe I'll try lowering one of the two roosts I have.

Back
Top Bottom