Two new Roos for my girls

jayhines91

In the Brooder
Sep 23, 2021
Good morning, yesterday we went to get two Roos for our 18 or so girls. They’re around the same age as all of ours 4-5 months and they’re beautiful. I have them in a pen within the run during the day and coop at night so they can see the ladies and realize this is their new home. First question I have is what breed are both my guys? The seller told us Americana hope I spelled right, but not too sure of that since we have some that don’t look similar to them (maybe another variation of it?). My second question is once they realize this is home will they start asserting dominance and any idea how they’ll look once they get bigger? We’re hoping they are nice and large. Thanks. They seem very healthy and have a healthy appetite.

Attachments

• 1BDCFFE9-74AD-408F-A447-C45A9D2364B4.jpeg
    1BDCFFE9-74AD-408F-A447-C45A9D2364B4.jpeg
    558.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 30641707-B448-41B0-946F-77D4E71049E1.jpeg
    30641707-B448-41B0-946F-77D4E71049E1.jpeg
    627.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 061826A5-C355-4D4E-BAC3-DA760BF448E3.jpeg
    061826A5-C355-4D4E-BAC3-DA760BF448E3.jpeg
    529.9 KB · Views: 4
thank you, everyone. I currently have them in a cage inside the run with food and water and move them around throughout the day depending on sun. i hate to keep them in there and would rather them be free. but the two time i let them walk around for a few minutes, though they're roos, the girls go after them. how many days would you say that they should stay in the separate cage so they know this is home? I'm assuming they'll start showing more dominance after they see that this is their home. when i first brought them in, the bigger of the two went up against the grand ultra master hen, and then it was as if he realized he was in a new place and started running away from them, and then he and the other was getting pecked (which is normal) Thanks again, you guys are a wealth of knowledge!

Ideally they should have been quarantined for a few weeks well away from your current birds. Then put into a look-but-don't-touch area.

I would keep them separate for a week and try letting them out. Watch and be ready to intervene if necessary. There will be pecking pecking and chasing. That's how they establish their pecking order when new birds are added. Just make sure it doesn't become too violent or your girls don't become too relentless. If they get overwhelmed or your girls get too aggressive, pen them up for another week and then try again. A good way to get them used to each other is to toss a few treats down and let them all eat together. Sort a way to break the ice, so to speak.

Will they eventually crow as they get use to being with us? Since they’re new here and around the same age and we know one of our wyondettes is the head hen I just wondered how that’d would change with the guys here.

They will crow eventually. Or at least one will. The less dominant one may not crow until he's ready to challenge the other.

Back
Top Bottom