Two Peachicks dropped off at my house

Just a Country Girl

Songster
12 Years
Mar 1, 2009
N.H.
I just had some one drop off 2 three day old peachicks at my house. I had my Peachicks in the house for Months last year and don't want to go through that again. Did anyone ever let a Hen raise peachicks for them? Is it possible? I had one of my Bantam hens hatch out 12 chics a few days ago. Their very cute and look healthy. I'm still waiting to see them eat but I've only had them for a half hour and the woman just took them away from their Mother so their just crying away
hit.gif
It's breaking my heart just listening to them.

It sounds like your hen already has a lot of babies to care for. It's been my experience that peachicks will pick on other chicks, but maybe not at this age. The biggest thing, can your banty hen keep all those babies warm or are they under a heat lamp?? If you're going to try to give them to her, you might be best off doing it at night. But stay with them until you know for sure she is going to take them. If they get chilled, they will die.

Some people are so mean. Did this person have a reason for separating these peachicks from their mother so soon?? My heart goes out to you and to them. I'm raising a peachick in the house just now myself. He cries and cries and cries when I am out of his sight (just what he is supposed to do). It is so pitiful. I can only imagine how you must feel.

Good luck with these two. Please let us know how it's going and what you decided to do.

Hope you have a GREAT DAY!!

Quote:
She took the Peachicks away because one ended up drowning in the horse trow. With all the horses running in and out of the barn she was afraid the last two would get killed. I kept the Peachicks in the house. I didn't want to take the chance of loosing them outside. And your right, I don't think the Bantam hen could keep them warm enough. In a couple more weeks the Peachicks will be bigger then the hen. That's so sad about your lonely Peachick. If you were closer I'd let you have these two. I'm going to place these two Peachicks together but I want them to go with someone that's experienced with them. Their a lot harder to raise then Chickens and I want them to have a good chance at life. I have them in a big cage with a heat lamp in my livingroom. Their doing great! eating like little pigs and jumping and flying all over the place. Anyone in the N.H. area looking for Peachicks?

I had one chick born by itself this week. when i would put it down it would cry way too much, so what i did was put a teddy bear in there with the baby, it works, they cuddle up to it as if it is the mommy.

What a GREAT idea - to put a teddy bear in with a lonely peachick. Wish I had thought of that. Wish I had remembered to check back on this thread to see your suggestion.

I also wish I lived closer to N.H. (except we can't handle the winters too well), so I could have taken those two babies for you. My Peabods has done really well by himself though. He is nine weeks old now.

Whatever happened with your two peachicks??

Isn't BYC a GREAT PLACE???!!!

Hope y'all are having a WONDERFUL EVENING!!

the Old Rebel

Quote:
Old Rebel I have the Pea chicks and they are thriving. I live 2 towns over from Country Girl.
I am totally in love with these chicks, they are the sweetest little things. I will try to picture up on here later in the morning.
I got to laughing last night one made the other mad, the mad one poofed out and put its tail up.
it was the cutest thing. I think they are rright around 8 weeks old now. just the cutest little buggers.

Quote:
I don't remember where I saw it, but I read once about someone's hanging a couple of feather dusters that touched the floor. The chicks thought it was their mommy and went in out from under it to keep warm. Wish I could remember whether or not they used a heat lamp also, but... must be getting senile.

Quote:
I don't remember where I saw it, but I read once about someone's hanging a couple of feather dusters that touched the floor. The chicks thought it was their mommy and went in out from under it to keep warm. Wish I could remember whether or not they used a heat lamp also, but... must be getting senile.

WHY! didn't I think of that???
he.gif

great idea no matter who came up with it, thanks for posting it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom